James Tour - Incandescent array

martinw

At the back of the stage on the current James tour (which is very good btw.), there is a large array of what looks like small incandescent lamps. The whole array is about 2 metres high, and about 3 metres across, and appeared to be connected to a media server. It didn't change colour, and it was extremely bright when on full power.

Does anyone know who made this?

It was a stunning effect put to great use, which really stood out from the usual monotony of LED fixtures. It was nice to see something different.

Well done to all involved - I thought it was a superb show.

Thanks

Martin

If I remember rightly its a Siyan job, with the Leitch (by name and nature) and someone else behind the design....

Can't tell you any more than that I am afraid.... I expect its something simple like 2/4/8/9-Lites pushed in a meat rack together and wired on LV from an Art 2000 rack.. And with no surprise whatsoever being driven by an Avolites desk of sorts.

Assuming its the same as the pictures on the Glasgow SECC entry of their blog - http://www.wearejames.com/blog/ - they look like Chromlech Jarag 5 panels. They were next door to us at PLASA. Simple 5x5 matrix, 25 dimmer channel fixture, so could quite easily be used with a media server or some kind of media engine. And yes, very bright!

Feeder are using something similar on their current tour.

Yes, that is also a Siyan tour, with Bryan Leitch as the 'LD'....

In fact anything that comes out of Siyan he has the credit as LD for - even if its nothing to do with him!

In fact anything that comes out of Siyan he has the credit as LD for - even if its nothing to do with him!

How does that work then? Is Siyan not just a rental company?

Martin

No. Siyan will rent to the trade when they run out of kit....

Essentially (unlike PRG, Neg Earth, and other well respected touring companies), Siyan send small - meduim tours out at cost. They will send trucks full of kit out, and only charge for the crew. The crew consists of Siyan's full time 'LDs' which are basically students and kids. Bryan Leitch gets the gigs in, then gives them to the students to operate, and he takes the credit as LD. Work the ethics out...? For bands on a tour, its ideal to get a VERY cheap tour, and then when the band work up to arena level Siyan can then charge them proper money. Thats why Bryan LD's so many tours, usually he has at least 10 on the go (YES literally) all at once. Rather than most LDs, he spends time running from tour to tour for one day then onto the next. As I said, several good LD's loose out, as they rely on a tour (and several weeks/months of work) to live....as opposed to being out done by an LD who doesn't stay on the tour (which is a major selling point for any LD) and someone on the desk.

What with this being a public forum I can't say much more, send me a PM :)

As I said, it works nicely for bands, and management. The problem (like a conversation I was having privately with a Moderator of this forum) is that is mass markets, and people can't say no. Good LD's loose out, as to companies who charge sensible prices for kit, and want to pay their crew/staff properly.

The problem is in this day and age too many bands look at the bottom line of a quote, as opposed to the service they get... Who would you want? A dedicated LD to work closely with the band, and be on the tour day in day out - or an LD thats attended the meetings, rehearsals, and the odd show when he can, and dumps you with someone else (usually someone very inexperienced)?? But as I said, bands/management look at the bottom line. Sad really...

No.. they do design & crewing as well as kit supply! They do, do dry hires.. But, sending out rigs & crews on tours/events is really they're main type of work.

Sorry, can't confirm exactly what the fixtures are (haven't spoke to anyone at Syian for a while), but from looking at the pictures on the blog and looking at the info that tvi675 presented.. it they're anything else, I'd b very surprised!

T

I'm pretty certain you're right about them being Chromlech Jarag 5 panels, I'm sure the guys from Siyan called them Jarags when I saw them on Monday at Brixton Academy and I agree, they looked great...a very nice change from LED walls.

The desk is an Avolites Diamond 4 Vision.

The rig was designed by Bryan Leitch and programmed and operated by Lighting Designer Chris Montrie; hence why the design is attributed to Bryan.

On a separate note, Siyan are a very proactive lighting production company and I have seen them (and Bryan in particular) give many young technicians / LDs their introduction to the industry from which they have gone on to be very successful in their own right.

Yes, that is also a Siyan tour, with Bryan Leitch as the 'LD'....

I think Its worth getting your facts straight here.. Bryan Leitch is the Lighting Designer for Both James and Feeder. Siyan is simply a supply house and there are many LD's who use it as there preferred Rental Company without any involvement from bryan. All bryan's designs are done through a different company Visual Light and a great deal of care is taken so that the two are completely separate every design goes out to tender... some go to Siyan some to other companies this is totally in the clients hands..

Visual Light have a very large collection of artists and so myself and bryan cannot be on every tour. We have a team of Lighting Directors who we use regularly and they will take our designs and program and operate the shows maybe this is where your confusion lies?

On a separate note, Siyan are a very proactive lighting production company and I have seen them (and Bryan in particular) give many young technicians / LDs their introduction to the industry from which they have gone on to be very successful in their own right.

You are correct some of the best in the business were found and encouraged by bryan, and to this day are very grateful for his help and support..

And yes the lighting fixture in question is a bank of the Chromlech Jarag Par30 panels.. very cool fixture..

http://www.chromlech.fr/pages/fr/produits/...video-jarag.php

Nick, long time no see...

I know that the designs Visual Light do go out to tender, hence why I dropped into the JT rehearsals... :P

In all honesty, I have never seen an LD go TO Siyan with a design, it always seems to be several of Siyan associated LD's taking jobs from Siyan out on the road.

I knew that several of the big jobs went through you and Bryan, however from conversations I have had with Bryan a few years ago at some gig or another and things you hear through the industry (suitably backed up by certain good sources) I gathered that Bryan designs shows and used Siyan as his rental company, mostly. Obviously there are jobs which go out to tender, but I find it a remarkable coincidence that (from my sources on the internet this is) Brian Adams, Duffy, Feeder, James, Athlete, Last of the Shaddow Puppets, The Killers, The Script, Electric Proms and no doubt many more ALL have Bryan's involvement and are being supplied by Siyan...

I am not saying its a bad thing, but when we have met LDs (LD for Feeder being a prime example) they have all said they work FOR Siyan, full time. I also have it on pretty good authority from someone else that Bryan refers to said LD and others as "full time LD's for Siyan". I have also had 1 or 2 LD's say that when they have used Siyan for kit, Bryan has practically forced a plot at them, in order to attempt to get credit as LD...

Perhaps we should discuss this off forum from now. But this is how people we meet every day, people loading into festivals, turning up, bumping into etc etc have referred to the way they do things. And as I said, all of them have referred themselves being full tim to Siyan with Bryan as the LD - and no mention of Visual Light, or you at all...

John P

• 3 weeks later...
At the back of the stage on the current James tour (which is very good btw.), there is a large array of what looks like small incandescent lamps. The whole array is about 2 metres high, and about 3 metres across, and appeared to be connected to a media server. It didn't change colour, and it was extremely bright when on full power.

Does anyone know who made this?

It was a stunning effect put to great use, which really stood out from the usual monotony of LED fixtures. It was nice to see something different.

Well done to all involved - I thought it was a superb show.

Thanks

Martin

Hi

I cant remember what the units are called but Siyan supplied the kit give Nick Valdez a ring and I am sure he will tell yoy what they are

Mike Adams

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Nick, long time no see...

I know that the designs Visual Light do go out to tender, hence why I dropped into the JT rehearsals... ;)

In all honesty, I have never seen an LD go TO Siyan with a design, it always seems to be several of Siyan associated LD's taking jobs from Siyan out on the road.

I knew that several of the big jobs went through you and Bryan, however from conversations I have had with Bryan a few years ago at some gig or another and things you hear through the industry (suitably backed up by certain good sources) I gathered that Bryan designs shows and used Siyan as his rental company, mostly. Obviously there are jobs which go out to tender, but I find it a remarkable coincidence that (from my sources on the internet this is) Brian Adams, Duffy, Feeder, James, Athlete, Last of the Shaddow Puppets, The Killers, The Script, Electric Proms and no doubt many more ALL have Bryan's involvement and are being supplied by Siyan...

I am not saying its a bad thing, but when we have met LDs (LD for Feeder being a prime example) they have all said they work FOR Siyan, full time. I also have it on pretty good authority from someone else that Bryan refers to said LD and others as "full time LD's for Siyan". I have also had 1 or 2 LD's say that when they have used Siyan for kit, Bryan has practically forced a plot at them, in order to attempt to get credit as LD...

Perhaps we should discuss this off forum from now. But this is how people we meet every day, people loading into festivals, turning up, bumping into etc etc have referred to the way they do things. And as I said, all of them have referred themselves being full tim to Siyan with Bryan as the LD - and no mention of Visual Light, or you at all...

John P

I have worked for Siyan for a number of years even when they where art of darkness and Axiom and I know for a fact that LDs go to siyan with a design, yes they do have a quite a few freelance LDs on the books but not full time.

Mike Adams

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

How does that work then? Is Siyan not just a rental company?

Martin

No. Siyan will rent to the trade when they run out of kit....

Essentially (unlike PRG, Neg Earth, and other well respected touring companies), Siyan send small - meduim tours out at cost. They will send trucks full of kit out, and only charge for the crew. The crew consists of Siyan's full time 'LDs' which are basically students and kids. Bryan Leitch gets the gigs in, then gives them to the students to operate, and he takes the credit as LD. Work the ethics out...? For bands on a tour, its ideal to get a VERY cheap tour, and then when the band work up to arena level Siyan can then charge them proper money. Thats why Bryan LD's so many tours, usually he has at least 10 on the go (YES literally) all at once. Rather than most LDs, he spends time running from tour to tour for one day then onto the next. As I said, several good LD's loose out, as they rely on a tour (and several weeks/months of work) to live....as opposed to being out done by an LD who doesn't stay on the tour (which is a major selling point for any LD) and someone on the desk.

What with this being a public forum I can't say much more, send me a PM B-)

As I said, it works nicely for bands, and management. The problem (like a conversation I was having privately with a Moderator of this forum) is that is mass markets, and people can't say no. Good LD's loose out, as to companies who charge sensible prices for kit, and want to pay their crew/staff properly.

The problem is in this day and age too many bands look at the bottom line of a quote, as opposed to the service they get... Who would you want? A dedicated LD to work closely with the band, and be on the tour day in day out - or an LD thats attended the meetings, rehearsals, and the odd show when he can, and dumps you with someone else (usually someone very inexperienced)?? But as I said, bands/management look at the bottom line. Sad really...

I think you need to get your facts right about Siyan you dont seem to know what your talking about, Siyan have some very expereanced crew I have been on the road for almost 30yrs for a start

Mike Adams

Moderation: Enough!

The original question seems to have been answered and people are now joining in to have an arguement. This topic has some posts that are also hidden as the mods didn't want to escalet things further, but it just got worse again.

Gentlemen - be nice to each other, or don't play.

Archived