Broken Comms Beltpack

I've just been going through all of the comm packs prior to panto and I have come across one that has an unusual problem. On first operation, the pack works fine, however as soon as the call button is pressed on any pack in the ring the lights all come on, but then do not go out again at all. as soon as the problem pack is removed from the ring, the issue resolves itself. If the pack is unplugged for some time and then re-connected the call light stays off, until the next call. disconnecting the pack for anything less than 10 minutes or so does not solve the problem and the call lights come on as soon as the pack is connected.

The pack is a Canford BP113 (twin ring 6pinXLR) it's a fairly new one with an LED call light.

I am fairly sure it's not as simple as a 'sticky' switch as the contacts and the mechanism look clean, but I have not metered across the contacts to confirm.

I am not sure what the packs use as a latching mechanism for the call light but I assume that it can only be either a simple timer or a capacitor discharge that determines the time the light stays on for. depending on the packs in use there can be a dwell of a few seconds before the lights go out, other times it can be almost instantaneous.

I'm sure that there is an easy fix, I just don't have the electronics knowledge to fault-find to this level, so any ideas, or the pack will be going back to Canford for repair.

:P

Archived