Joining truss

misterbassman

Im looking for 6metres of truss. However I can only transport it in 3 metre sections. Im currently looking at some 30cm litec quad truss, I was wondering if it is possible to join it in the middle without a third stand.

Any help much appreciated

Dan

without getting into the 'is it strong enough' discussion - most truss joined with spigots always sags - on 2 three metre lengths it is going to look odd before you load it up - I'm not familiar with the quad truss you're talking about - but a 6m length of litestructures tri or quad certainly would not be something I'd want to do.

For the standard Litec truss you can either bolt the end plates together, or use there 'quick fit' spigot system. The quick fit system has a higher loading capacity than bolting the plates together.

you need to add up the weight of all the lights and the truss (figures easily available on web) divide by 2, if this is more than your stands are rated for then don't do it.

you also need to look at trilite load chart to see permisable load on a 6m span if your lights weigh more than the chart says then don't do it

if your rig is to heavy for either the stands or the truss span then you could consider a midle stand, however be aware that the middle stand (of 3) will have to support aprox 62% of the total weight

• 1 year later...

we use 2*3m astralite to make 6m alot of the time and dont have any problems, anything longer and your pushing it...

from personal experience, I would avoide using trilite if you can because they will get more and more difficult to get together, as the ends don't have the supporting triangle that trilite does!!!

A show I was playing for and derigging last week had a 9m span of trilite truss, made of 3 3m sections supported at each end by a 5m truss section (2m section + 3m section). It didn't have any noticeable sag. It was all joined using the spigot and pin system.

We had hung 3 source 4 pars and 3 source 4 profiles on it plus a border curtain.

That's not really too much weight to be spread along it's length, that's only approx 90 kilos on 9 metres with 2 joins (10 kilos per metre), wheras the 16 parcans, 2 movers on 6 metres, 1 join (it's gonna be tight) will weigh more along the lines of 110-120 kilos (around 20 kilos per metre). This is more likely to sag, I'd suggest hanging the two movers as close to the stands as possible. Can the stands take 60(ish) kilos each?

Archived