Headphones from a desk.

SceneMaster

Hi (I am no sound man :D lights :D )

The desk I am using for a gig has a "min 400 ohm independence headphone output" and my headphones are 8 ohm independence so this will not work? (They are proper headphones with a proper big 0.25 inch jack) (Would they work with the output virtually on 0 so only a trickle gets through?). School uses bog standard headphones with this desk the same they use with tape players so will my 8ohm ones work on minimum phones output without damaging the desk, my ears and the headphones themselves. I have put them in briefly with output to the phones on low and it worked but I didn't know if this was damaging the desk.

What doesn't make sense (to me not being sound) is the loudspeaker output from the amps is 4ohm and the resistance in the headphones has to be so much greater. Can some one explain this science and please tell me that my brief headphone usage to see if it works hasn't damaged the desk. ;)

I have not got time to buy some 400ohm headphones so if these 8ohn won’t do then I will just not use headphones.

Thanks ;) .

(I don’t think school uses special 400ohm headphones with the desk and this haven’t done any damage <_<)

Archived