Auxilery input into comms - but only to one headset...

James Remo

dbuckley - Thanks for that, reading up on the rs-602 it uses pins 5 & 6 of the beltpack as the program input, which you can mix the amount you want in your ears.

Allows audio program connected through pins 5 and 6 of the intercom line connector to be looped through to other RS-602/622’s in a daisy chain.
So if I had one of those beltpacks and a breakout lead I could inject audio only to my beltpack. Are they compatible with Tecpro/stonewood/asl?

Pete - Good spot sir!

I'm not looking for a masterstation, rather just a beltpack or bodge box that I can sling in the tool box that is compatible with my clients existing comms packages.

Thanks again

So if I had one of those beltpacks and a breakout lead I could inject audio only to my beltpack. Are they compatible with Tecpro/stonewood/asl?

Yes, you can, I think there is such a breakout lead in the ClearCom product range somewhere to go on the end of the cable with six pin XLRs.

ClearCom is compatible-ish with TecPro, but the levels are a little different, but I cant remember which way! But it works. I use a ClearCom master station with Production Intercom beltpacks and no-one complains! Note that if you have a fifty station party line then impedence differences between the different manufactures make stability a problem, but at the dozen station level its all fine.

BEWARE - there are two different sorts of six pin XLR that are non-interchangable!!!

BEWARE - there are two different sorts of six pin XLR that are non-interchangable!!!
HAH!! You haven't met the numb-nutz that I work with! They had managed to mate the incorrect remote control cable into the back of our LX desk. They were surprised when I was unimpressed...

The Stonewood master station has individually routable pgm input, and is the method I've used in the past. If you're going to connect this to an existing comms you must remember to lift pin2.

As for beltpacks with pgm input I've used the RTS bp-325 which has an easy internal mod for this, you'd need to check compatibility though.

For a cheap self-build option Googling 'headphone combiners' and 'passive stereo mono converter' threw up some interesting projects.

Edited by Arran

As for beltpacks with pgm input I've used the RTS bp-325 which has an easy internal mod for this, you'd need to check compatibility though.

Absolutely need to check - the RTS standard for intercom signals is different to the ClearCom Party Line and very non-compatible.

However, the old RTS company got bought, so who knows, their newer kit may be able to operate with PL lines.

'tis a real pity about signal incompatibility, 'cos RTS kit rocks. The telly boys love it to death...

James I know you feel the CiO box is pricey, but it will do exactly what you want, interfacing effortlessly with all comms systems I know. If you are freelance speak to Dave Humphries at Interspace Inustries (Hive), as he gives an extra freelance discount and is a very nice chap to boot. The difference this little box has made to my daily life was worth the extra cost

I think you could spend a lot of time and energy and not end up with an interface that is as hassle free as the CiO....Just my 10p worth !! Happy Christmas

Edited by TAG1960

• 11 years later...

Extreme thread necromancy warning - a message to my younger self.

Boy, your spelling is bad. I'm glad you worked on that.

I finally have the perfect solution to this, yet no longer have the need. The ASL PS19A does exactly what I was trying to achieve. I picked up a couple of units second hand, and they work flawlessly, however a lot of my clients have now invested in green go systems...

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do it the other way around...

The comms master station was at FOH, and I used the aux in and outs on it, to feed into a spare input on the sound desk, so I could use PFL to listen in, and then I had a talk back mic at the desk too, so fed that to an aux out channel, which was then fed to the aux in on the comms system.

This way I only needed my proper headphones and not also a comms headset.

On busy shows, for Qs where I didn't want headphones on, I could also feed comms to a wedge monitor to hear Qs easily.