data projectors

andy_s

I have a vague recollection of someone (quite a long time ago) recommending an informative website for various bits of AV kit - cheap rentals for "visual artists" - I'm obviously entering the wrong thing into the search field, as I'm not finding it. If anyone has the faintest idea of what I'm on about - replies much appreciated.

specifically, we need a projector to show movies on - probably dvd as a source, but also dv cam, vhs, computer, so I'm researching what to look for in the spec sheets. this is a purchase not a rent, so value for money quite important aswell. ALso likely to be mostly used by non-technical people (but not idiots!) Help! (AV not my field)

(also - the movies are produced in-house - we're not doing any dodgy copyright stuff!)

Andy

Whats your budget?

Theres a large range of smaller lcd projectors that dont cost too much though into the few thousands of ££s .

Sony

Sanyo

Panasonic

hp

all do them to mention a few. If your budgets big enough then you can look at the Barcos & Christies - though that may be way over your budget.

Theres a large range of smaller lcd projectors that dont cost too much though into the few thousands of ££s .

A few thousand??

You can get a 2000 lumen XGA Sony for <£1500! (Go to the right place and they'll give you a free camera too!) Their smaller (SVGA/1500 lumen) one, VPL ES1, comes with a DVD player for £750ex.

There are literally dozens under £1000 in a variety of brightness/resolution/weight ratios. See misco.co.uk, or insight.com/uk.

The one thing to be aware of though is the sound quality. The speakers in these things are dreadful, and sound just as bad as early transistor radios. If your film has a sound track, you will need something extra.

I have used a set of Yamaha PC type speakers, with a separate sub with built in amp, for audiences of 20-30 with some success. I'll see if I can find the model no.

thanks for the replies so far - some interesting stuff to follow up.

our budget is slightly flexible, it's kind of the "how much will we need to spend to get what we need" nature. my problem is not really knowing how the spec sheets tell me whether I'm "getting what we need". We have an idea that it would be somewhere between 1 - 2.5K. We expect to show movies in school classrooms or assembly halls - so your hints are v useful, Andrew. (especially re sound, which had crossed my mind as a potential pitfall). Ta!

OK, The speakers I referred to are Yamaha YST MS30. They list between £35 - 50 on various websites, but I couldn't find a site with both a price and a description.

I modded the set to include phono inputs, changed the satellite wiring so that it could be extended and fitted 'market clips' to the satellites so they could be clipped to the screen. Classrooms yes, school halls - maybe not.

As for projectors go for as bright as possible, as school halls may not black-out well. SVGA is probably a suitable resolution. Look for an S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN)

The Sony is a nice bit of kit (so far, I've not had it long!). Beware on-costs, new lamps for any projector are of the order £300!!

Consider also a screen and projector stand, unless you are sure that the schools will provide.

Get in contact with thr Craig at 6th Sense Solutions. They are experts in AV, installs right up to Christie DLP projectors for large gigs. Craig really knows his stuff, and will be able to point you in the right direction price and specification wise. They also get very very good prices on Sanyo and Christie stock, so could probably get you a great deal. They did my church install to a v.high standard.

There website is down, but try the (freephone?) number: 08707 424393, and ask for Craig, and mention my name (Pete McCrea).

Projector lamps will be expensive whichever brand you go for.......One of those things I'm affraid. Observe the warm-up and warm-down routines, treat with respect and they should be ok.

Archived