Boom Bases and Trees

allanseanweeks

This could possibly be a good question, but you haven't really given us much to go on, Alan.

How high is it? What type of dimmer is it (i.e. how heavy?) How is it held in place? Does it have a secondary fixing? Does anyone work or perform under it?

Basically you need to answer the sort of questions you be asking if you were doing a risk assessment. In fact, perhaps you should just do a risk assessment! :P

BTW You can link to a picture of it if you like and that will give us a better idea of what you're talking about.

Allrighty, sorry about the lack of specifics.

Basically, a lighting tree, consisting of a 50lb base, a 12' pipe, and a 4' crossbar attached to the 12' pipe, upon which lights would be placed. The dimmer would be attached to the crossbar with a c-clamp. I'm not looking for a risk assessment at all. I would just like an opinion as to whether or not there are any of you that think it might not be smart to place a 6-way dimmer rack pretty much out of reach. Seems like an opportunity for failure, but, I've been wrong before.

There was me thinking of a woody thing with leaves on... I've attached lights to them in the past!

Anyway, no, I'd say it's a silly idea. For one thing, if it's a 6-way rack as you indicate, that's a fair bit of extra weight to put on a structure that doesn't sound like a terribly good idea already - 50lb isn't a lot at all (just over 22kg), your 16' of scaff probably weighs about that without any lights on it. If you have enough lights to need a dimmer pack then you'll be wanting a fair bit of weight on that base and ideally some outriggers.

I'm not looking for a risk assessment at all. I would just like an opinion as to whether or not there are any of you that think it might not be smart to place a 6-way dimmer rack pretty much out of reach

My point was that deciding if something is safe or not IS doing a risk assessment. :P

I can see that you also want to know, not just if it's safe, but if it's a good idea. For instance how are you going to get up the 12' to replace a trip or fuse should that be needed? On the other hand, lanterns on the bar and dimmers on the same bar means no cabling on the floor which could improve safety in other ways.

I would agree with the last poster that you're going to need either a big base with plenty of weight on it or outriggers to compensate for the extra weight.

At the end of the day I'm not sure we'll ever know enough details to make the decision for you but I'm sure others will come up with other pros and cons.

Oddly - I really did think we were talking about putting lights in a tree - as in oak, pine etc. I didn't notice you were in the US, so didn't make the connection and spot the context - perhaps add your location into your profile would help us? I've never come across 'tree' used like this, but it's a pretty good descriptive word for it isn't it. Thanks for expanding my theatre vocabulary.

Paul

How long are the cords coming out of the individual lights? Generally, it's nice to place the dimmer in a location that's easily reachable, however it's also a good idea to use the shortest cables possible for running power, as in it'd be a pain to need an extension for every single fixture you're using just to eliminate the need for a step ladder. As others have mentioned, it's a good idea to keep the pole's center of gravity as low as possible. The best location is probably somewhere between the top and bottom.

-Jeff

however it's also a good idea to use the shortest cables possible for running power, as in it'd be a pain to need an extension for every single fixture you're using just to eliminate the need for a step ladder

Do you chaps over the Pond not use multi-core cables, then?

I can't see what's wrong with placing a dimmer somewhere remote from the structure and running a multi to it. You'd have to put in cable management for a mains feed for a dimmer anyway, so why not put the dimmer somewhere sensible within a tech area?

Archived