Help!

tigerlilly.holyoak

It depends on the light fixtures you are going to use but quite alot of them will come with light to sound functionality built in. This uses a built-in microphone on the fixture to trigger pre-defined effects.

Most light desks will also allow you to program some effects in to be triggered by a sound. I'm not familiar with software DMX controllers so I can't help you there. I think you should check what fixtures you're going to be using and whether or not you'll need a controller.

We are trying to figure out the best software/equipment to use for an upcoming Jan show. We will be in a small art gallery and we desire to synchronize the lighting to live music that will be being played. Lighting is pretty new to me and I would like to learn as much as I can for this show. Thanks to everyone!

Tiger

Your enquirey is very general. we will need to know what you want to acceive, there are many different types of lights available, many sound activated, what would you like to see? do you want general color washs or effects? how big is the area to be lit? what power is available? there are many disco type projection lights available on e bay, jump on and have a look in "disco lighting" and you can get some ideas whats available.

One very cheap option is a USB DMX dongle such as the EntTec device for just 55 euros: clicky

...combined with free software which will play music and allow you to set lighting cues at various points in the track, like some of the software on this page: clicky

The one I use for my dongle is called Abuelites (about 2/3 the way down the page).

Just remember to disable power saving options on the computer that's controlling it! You really don't want your computer going to standby mode whilst running the lighting and sound for a show!

I'd start playing around with it all to get used to it pretty soon too, if you want to be able to program it all in easily nearer the time.

EDIT: Just realised you stated 'live' music. You can also set a simple 'GO' button function for each state as the music is played, or just record the band first, sync the cues to it, but don't play the recorded music on the night. That way, if you need to make any changes, you know at which point it should happen.

If lighting is not your strength, why not hire someone to do it for you?

That way you can concentrate on the music and the artworks, and let an experienced person deal with the vagaries of a lighting system, like hiring the right kit, setting it up and programming it.

er...... perhaps a bit radical but why not do the show manually with faders and flash.bump buttons? All this talk about automation and sound and light settings just shows that people want auto everything nowadays. If you want interesting lighting that's sympathetic to the music being played - do it with fingers NOT software!

Chases, preset patterns and sound to light are the lighting equivalent of a sat nav. they get you where you want to go, but you don't have a clue where you've been.

A very simple lighting desk with knobs to turn, faders to shove and buttons to prod will be capable of so much more than auto functions - but does need somebody musically sensitive to work it - but that could be anyone, not just a technical bod!

You did say you want to learn - auto doesn't do tht really.

Archived