sm58 melting?

fireman

hi all,

I have just come into posession of a shure sm58 that appears to be genuine, green switchcraft XLR, capsule seems right, although the 'SHURE SM58 DYNAMIC LO Z' script is stuck on rather than screen printed around the mic.

the thing is when I opened up the body instead of the usual solid stuff around the transformer, there was just some melted gunk left in there.

has any one else come across this or do you think that eiter its a fake or that something has got in there that has affected the filler material ?

the mic works just fine but I just wondered, the script seems old but I dont think that any of my other older sm58s have this problem.

Can't really help you with the melted gunk, but several years ago Shure did stick a label on the SM58 rather than its current printing. Infact, I have one somewhere with s tuck on label, I'll have a look tomorrow and see what its like inside and report back (unless someone else has one too that they don't have to drive to and open big massive doors to get at.

All of my 58's are the older stuck on label kind. All of mine have what looks like melted/silicon type stuff inside. So I think it probably is a real one.

I'll get one out of the van tomorow and take some pics of you like?

I've opened up one laying around here and the capsule end plate is terminated to a small bit of pcb that has one terminal marked with a + symbol. This connects to the green cable of the pair, the other being yellow. The yellow end of the transformer is visible smothered in epoxy style gunk. The XLR insert on this one is grey and labeled 'Shure'.

Perhaps if everyone reports theirs we can build up a useful list. This is a bit battered but is a later version I think. The silver writing appears silk screened.

I've just had a look inside 5, ranging in age from 4 years up to almost brand new (all came from CPC or Studiospares). All are exactly as Paul described. They also seem to have a two letter code on the PCB, which may be a date code, as it's the same on two that were purchased together.

I've opened up one laying around here and the capsule end plate is terminated to a small bit of pcb that has one terminal marked with a + symbol. This connects to the green cable of the pair, the other being yellow. The yellow end of the transformer is visible smothered in epoxy style gunk. The XLR insert on this one is grey and labeled 'Shure'.

Perhaps if everyone reports theirs we can build up a useful list. This is a bit battered but is a later version I think. The silver writing appears silk screened.

Yep, mine is the same as Paul and Marks.

The two letters on the PCB on mine are 'A' and 'G'.

The mic is about 6 years old.

Maybe we should have a 'fake mics, and how to spot them' pinned topic?

hmm. I have before me 5 shure mics, 4 sm58's and an old unidyne b 517SA.

the one that the body filler has come out off has a green switchcraft XLR, the same as the old 517, it has the green and yellow wires the same as all the other 58's but also has a black wire connected to the nut on the back of the capsule, this connects to a strip of springy metal that holds the transformer down in the body,then goes to the pin one connectionand earths the body in doing so, the others have a spngy bit of metal on the pin one connection.

the transformer has yellow tape around it like the others.

2 of the 58's have the screen printing on them and the other has the stiker, (newer and older ?) the other older one has the solid, opaque, looks like glue or silicone around the transformer, the dodgy one had a bit of brown sticky stuff that lookedlike some kind of resin in there.

I don't know if its a fake or not, just wondered if sure had tried a different design for a while. ?

hmm. I have before me 5 shure mics, 4 sm58's and an old unidyne b 517SA.

the one that the body filler has come out off has a green switchcraft XLR, the same as the old 517, it has the green and yellow wires the same as all the other 58's but also has a black wire connected to the nut on the back of the capsule, this connects to a strip of springy metal that holds the transformer down in the body,then goes to the pin one connectionand earths the body in doing so, the others have a spngy bit of metal on the pin one connection.

the transformer has yellow tape around it like the others.

2 of the 58's have the screen printing on them and the other has the stiker, (newer and older ?) the other older one has the solid, opaque, looks like glue or silicone around the transformer, the dodgy one had a bit of brown sticky stuff that lookedlike some kind of resin in there.

I don't know if its a fake or not, just wondered if sure had tried a different design for a while. ?

In my warehouse we've got a large box of SM58s, all barcoded and ranging in age from brand new to fifteen years old. It seems the newer mics are screen printed, the older mics have stickers (or in some cases have lost their stickers) and I also have one mic which is engraved - although its called an SM58SPE - I'm thinking maybe SPecial Edition???

Archived