Mobile Phones + PAs

DanielArkley

At the beginning of shows at school (and I know we aren't the only ones !) we ask all the punters to turn off their mobile phones. The reason we give is that it can interfere with the PA, in the same way as when you put your phone next to your headphone cable and phone it! Does this really apply to PAs? I know I sent a text message before a show while the PA amps were turned off, however one of the stage amps was turned on and I got the lovely indescribable noise that phones make.

Thanks!

The interference from mobile phones only has a range of about a foot or so and I've never had it affect sound equipment/cabling outside of this. Others may have had different experiences.

But if you are running your multi along the venue floor (well gaffered down of course), you wouldn't want someone putting a handbag with a mobile in it on top!

It would be better to ask your punters to silence their mobiles - some people have to keep theirs on all the time.

If your running properly shielded (read: Ballanced and earthed) kit, then it shouldn't really be a problem. I, and I'm sure many other engineers here have recieved messages with their phone either sat on or extremely close to the desk, and nothing has happened. Usually on the foam between the desk edge and the flightcase edge.

Usually if it happens, it's because the pesky bassist has left it ontop of their nasty amp which doesn't have ballanced inputs on and uses pants unballanced patch jack leads.

All my crew turn them off - I have threatened to slap their wrists. The "noise" crew are all sat right at the desk in front of a stack of 6 radio mic receivers, and the lighting crew are up in the box with the amps.

Thanks for the info though - if it is OK to leave it on, is it OK to use them? Our cans have been destroyed (one of the beltpacks is broken), so is it safe to call each other during a show?

I wouldn't advise it. I have heard a proper instal "handshake" along with a noise-boys mobile. Upset the performers a bit. :(

Turn them OFF not to perv mode. You ought to be concentrating on the show, not texting your mates.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask that audience members turn their phones off "due to interference with the enjoyment of other audience members". No need to use debatable "technical reasons" as incentive.

I disagree.

Some people need to have their phones on because they're on-call. Doctors for example.

In my case, if I have gear out on hire, then I have to be reachable in case of a problem.

Most phones can be set to vibrate for situations where ringing is inappropriate - that's why I think announcements should say "silence" rather than "turn off".

Dave.

I was meaning crew phones , as for the punters you can ask and you may even get. But as far as crew are concerned there's no need for phones during a show. If you have kit out on hire then for the duration of the show surely you can make an alterntive arrangement, and besides sorry to say but if you have kit on hire and are crewing on my show the problem is yours not mine so to speak. The other thing that annoys me, slightly off topic I know, are those crew whose phones ring as if by magic when the back of the truck opens.

Archived