Software design

Lennox

Hello all,

I am currently studying Multimedia in University but am also involved in amateur theatre as a hobby. I work mainly with my local theatre group and a student theatre group.

Often we have young people involved in the society who primarily wish to learn more about the backstage roles in theatre. We have also run several workshops over the years where a professional lighting designer/technician will come in and teach those interested some basics and we have also had several young people (16-20ish) assisting with lights during shows.

I have also come across many amateur societies who have some basic knowledge simply wish to hire out the equipment and have some of their own members operate.

Based on this for a University project I am attempting to design a piece of software which will teach the basics to amateurs and allow them some insight. In particular this will be aimed at young people, idea being that they can aquire some basic knowledge before perhaps assisting a pro during a show.

I want to teach what types of lights are used to create different effects, the basics of operating the more commonly used desks (e.g Strand), to learn to recognise lights and their functions,to have some knowledge of safety practise within the industry and to be familiar with plotting a show.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful to them for sharing it.

Regards ;)

Archived