connecting amplifiers

makarunga

I have been using a phonic max2500 to power my wharfedale speakers but recently I acquired another crest amp as well as crest lQ15 speakers. I would like some help on how I could connect both amplifiers such that I could use the crest amp to power my crest speakers and the phonic amp to power my wharfedale speakers. Can anybody out there give me some tips? my outputs will be from a berhinger equalizer.

Moderation: This is very much a "beginner" level question so it's been moved to "The Next Generation" forum

I have been using a phonic max2500 to power my wharfedale speakers but recently I acquired another crest amp as well as crest lQ15 speakers. I would like some help on how I could connect both amplifiers such that I could use the crest amp to power my crest speakers and the phonic amp to power my wharfedale speakers. Can anybody out there give me some tips? my outputs will be from a berhinger equalizer.

You need to link the two amps together.

There will be four inputs on the back of the amp. Probably two XLR's and two Jacks. If you are plugged into the XLR's from the EQ then you need to have a link out of the Jacks to the other amp.

I presume both these sets of cabs are fullrange?

Just out of interest, what is the application Mike?

As previous answers, but in easier to understand terms, you have an output of x2 stereo jacks from you EQ unit. (or at least you should have)

Put the other end into one amp, (XLR or trs (stereo jack) come out from the 1st amp, (you may have 'link' or parallel input) and into the 2nd.

Sorry to put it in simple terms but the question calls for it.

TBH 'parallel input' could be confusing as it can actually be an 'out'.

I presume both these sets of cabs are fullrange?

Just out of interest, what is the application Mike?

As previous answers, but in easier to understand terms, you have an output of x2 stereo jacks from you EQ unit. (or at least you should have)

Put the other end into one amp, (XLR or trs (stereo jack) come out from the 1st amp, (you may have 'link' or parallel input) and into the 2nd.

Sorry to put it in simple terms but the question calls for it.

TBH 'parallel input' could be confusing as it can actually be an 'out'.

Thanks very much for your input. I am really a beginner. I bought these for a mobile DJ unit that I own and yes they are both full range but would like to use the wharfedale for bass.

I have connected the 2 outputs from the EQ to the XLR inputs of the phonic amplifier-which should ideally power my wharfedale speakers (want to use these as bass bins). Then I have used jacks from the inputs of the phonic amp into the input of the creast amplifier (which should power the creat speakers)

Should I leave the switch at the back of the phonic amp in parallel? I have bridge, parrallel and stereo modes

Thanks

Mike

The switch should be in stereo if your setup is in stereo (which it sounds as if it is - two outputs from the EQ = 2 channels of audio).

Parallel will take the input from A and feed it to B as well (on a single amplifier)

Bridge links the A and B amps together in the unit to give you more power.

These switches don't affect the Parallel Inputs that you're using (or at least shouldn't, correct me if I'm wrong!) as they only control what their own amplifier does. Although I can see where the confusion lies!

Should I leave the switch at the back of the phonic amp in parallel? I have bridge, parrallel and stereo modes

Thanks

Mike

Remember that your phonic amp is really two amps in one box.

"Bridge" & "Parallel "are two different ways of connecting the two sides of you amp together, creating one bigger amp if you like. In either of these modes you have one input and one output (OK you may have two output sockets but they'll be connected to each other).

"Stereo" leaves both sides separate and independent, two inputs & two outputs. This is often used for stereo left & right, though it's possible to have the two sides doing completely different things.

For your application I think "Stereo" is the mode you want.

Archived