Paper snow

The Gaffa

Having read the other topics on Snow effects, one of the safest versions is paper snow.

Basically the "snow" is thin white paper similar to the type of paper confetti is made of.

If released from either a snow bag or a blower it looks really good.

Having read the other topics on Snow effects, one of the safest versions is paper snow.

Basically the "snow" is thin white paper similar to the type of paper confetti is made of.

If released from either a snow bag or a blower it looks really good.

An important note, you can get paper snow that is used as settled snow, it is very good, but should not be thrown or dropped as it is very fiberous, it creates a lot of dust in the air.

If you need faling snow, there are larger pieces of shredded paper available that will not irritate peoples respitary systems.

Never heard of paper snow before. I tell you what though, I'd like to see a snow machine in action.

http://www.slavasnowshow.co.uk/video.html

You can't get much better than this, and it's all white flutterfetti (paper)

Having played host to Slava for a week, I can safely say that this is one of the most visually spectacular shows I have ever seen.

It's still touring the UK at the moment I think.

Dicky

We're hiring 2x 2m long snow troughs for our school production from Northern Stage. Stage LX also do them. I doubt you'll find many available at this time of year though! Even now, we're having to deliver them straight to another school 50 miles away as soon as we've de-rigged them! It costs £60 per week, per unit to hire them from Northern Stage.

The "snow" isn't cheap either! It's £35 a bag! Apparently a bag will fill both machines, but then we just sweep it up (along with all the sweet wrappers, bits of crisps, dust, mud, and other crap off the floor) and refill them!

I've seen them used at Butlins, and they look quite good. It's also better for when there are dancers coming on afterwards, because it doesn't leave the stage wet. Just get a big V-shaped commercial sized broom and it takes you seconds to clear the stage afterwards. Just don't let the cleaners in straight after the show, or it'll cost another £35 for another bag!

A fairly effective snow sieve can be made from a photocopy paper box with holes in the bottom.

Another good trick is to put all the snow in a big plastic box and gently push it back and forth. The heavier junk falls to the bottom, and any lighter stuff floats upwards. Using a dustpan as a shovel skim the rubbish off the top, then the snow off the heavy rubbish, then discard the rubbish.

I had to do this on a 8 week run of christmas carol, and only needed a new bag every 2 weeks ish (gradually added in as more snow fell down the traps, or in the truck-tracks, or got lost in with rubbish)

Having played host to Slava for a week, I can safely say that this is one of the most visually spectacular shows I have ever seen.

I'll second that - caught it in Glasgow the other week and it is definitely one of the most theatrical spectacles I've seen. the streets and multi-storey car park next to the King's were littered with bits of snow - they must get through tons of the stuff!f

The flutterfetti is basically crepe paper; I have in the past (before it was commercially available) spent several hours cutting up sheets of crepe paper to make snowflakes for a conventional 'bag' drop. Pieces about 2-3cm across work very well and give a nice fluttering effect.

I would love to know how the spiderweb stuff is done - do they make it daily or does it come in giant sheets?

I would love to know how the spiderweb stuff is done - do they make it daily or does it come in giant sheets?

It is one giant sheet that gets re-used, as any holes that appear in it seem to mend themselves when it gets rolled back on itself, almost a self-healing type of material. Yes, they do get through loads of flutterfetti during the shows, a lot of it does get re-used however, we used air blowers to blow the fetti from the auditorium back towards the front of the stage where it was shovelled into plastic bins and re-used.

Dicky

• 1 month later...
We're hiring 2x 2m long snow troughs for our school production from Northern Stage. Stage LX also do them. I doubt you'll find many available at this time of year though! Even now, we're having to deliver them straight to another school 50 miles away as soon as we've de-rigged them! It costs £60 per week, per unit to hire them from Northern Stage.

That's just reminded me I built a custom snow trough for a job in Selfridges shop window a few years back. It's about 4 metres long and is currently gathering dust in a barn in Kent. It splits into two pieces for transport (or could be used as a single 2M trough with a little bit of work to make an additional end panel) so If anyone wants to hire it let me know.

Archived