4m of truss on clarke power winches

mkbatten

hi, I have got to raise up a 4m length of truss up around 4 m, with 100kg of lights on it evenly spread on the truss. I have had the suggestion for using two of the clarke power winches(I know the point they will be lifted on is capable as they have had a lot more flown on them before).

has anyone used these winches, as they are rated at 250kg lift each, so a pair should be able to lift 500kg,

once up the truss will have 5000kg safety bonds attached.

any opinions would be greatly appriciated.

thanks

matt

clarke power winches seem a strange choice. they may well be perfectly safe, but as ive never encountered them in a rigging enviroment, I cant comment.

If you need small motors, id personally be hiring in some cm prostars or similar, rather than buying non standard motors.

Apart from that, why are you using 5000kg safeties? seems a little over the top. For a 500kg truss, use a 500kg or 1000kg steel, with appropreate bow shackle ( steels designed for safeties will already have the correct safety factor built in to their SWL)

but, as per the previous post, it sounds like you need to hire someone in to do this if you are asking these questions.

Ok, ive just looked at the pdf manual for these units, and it states clearly that they are designed for domestic, non industrial use, with winching straw bales and vehicles in mind.

add to that, they are cable rather than chain motors, which opens up other issues like wire rope management ( keeping windings straight on drum.

further, to acheve a 250kg lift requires a pulley hook and double cable.

I would stay well clear, and hire in the correct people and kit. If you cant afford to do it properly, dont do it!

Yik, horrible things.

I agree with the above - Prostars would be infinitely preferable.

Having said that, Prostars aren't cheap and I'm guessing the budget won't allow.

If you really want to lift the truss with cheapo wire winches, and they're in good condition, have certs etc., there's really no reason not to.

But you really don't want to leave the truss suspended from them, safety bonds or no. Far better to use the winches merely to get the truss up in the air and transfer them onto dead hangs (and for neatness, and to spare your blushes at using such pony gear, take the winches out again).

Having said that, personally I really wouldn't bother for two 50kg points. I'd be more inclined to use 4 pulleys, about 30m of rope and two assistants (glamorous or otherwise) to lift the truss before deading it off.

• 2 weeks later...
Yik, horrible things.

I agree with the above - Prostars would be infinitely preferable.

Having said that, Prostars aren't cheap and I'm guessing the budget won't allow.

If you really want to lift the truss with cheapo wire winches, and they're in good condition, have certs etc., there's really no reason not to.

But you really don't want to leave the truss suspended from them, safety bonds or no. Far better to use the winches merely to get the truss up in the air and transfer them onto dead hangs (and for neatness, and to spare your blushes at using such pony gear, take the winches out again).

Having said that, personally I really wouldn't bother for two 50kg points. I'd be more inclined to use 4 pulleys, about 30m of rope and two assistants (glamorous or otherwise) to lift the truss before deading it off.

Hear, hear.

Archived