What do think of these subs for hard dance music?

DJ Teknovibe

I'm in the market for new subs and wondered what you guys thought of these subs?

RCF 4Pro 8001-AS 18" Active

http://www.rcf.it/vediMacro.phtml/sLang/EN/IDMacro/1687/menuAttivo/1674/m1/3/4PROSeries4PRO8001-AS/product.htm

JBL SRX-728S Dual 18" Passive Powered By A Crown MA500VZ (1 sub on each channel)

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Prod...d=118&MId=3

QSC HPR181i 18" Active

http://qscaudio.com/products/speakers/hpr/hpr181i.htm

RCF Acustica S8028 18" Passive Powered By A Camco Vortex 6

http://www.rcf.it/vediMacro.phtml/sLang/EN...028/product.htm

Do you guys have any experience with any of those subs? I'm looking for a sub that'll give out pretty gut wrenching bass. I know the JBL SRX728S will definately do that, but I have no idea how good the others are. I'd apreciate some help guys. Thanks.

It's all relative, it's all subjective, but IMO the SRX boxes will hardly give out gut wrenching bass. Multiples maybe, but then again, we have to look at the efficiency and how multiples will compare to singles of something else.

Gut wrenching bass if such a term is in anyway accurate to a type of LF reproduction is something I would expect to hear from D&B B2's EV X subs, Martin WS218X and on a budget, the Thomann TP218....no really, do have a listen if you ever get the chance.

RCF (4PRO8001-AS):

active

1x18"

133dB

800W

FQres. 40-(80/100/120)Hz

(portable design)

JBL:

passive

2x18"

136dB (calculated)

3200W

FQres. 33 Hz – 220 Hz

(portable design)

QSC:

active

1x18"

134 dB

700W

FQres. 45 Hz - 95 Hz

(portable design)

RCF (S8028):

passive

2x18”

138 dB

2000 W

FQres. 35 Hz –200 Hz

(install design)

would show specs of amps (important for bass speakers as they must match what the speaker response is) but this isn't my buy.

if the music is off CD's/MP3's/other media. the bass is significantly lost and usually needs a little boost on the EQ. it will also sound very different in comparison to 'live' bass running through the speakers.

people are always asking questions like 'which is the best?' 'what should I choose?' 'suggest a sub for me'

blue room's advice is usually always the same...

go listen to the speakers. hire one for a gig if you feel the need. the main thing is everyone's ears are different. the one you like may be one that others hate. we can say how much we liked the speaker but this will be in a different situation/room to the one you will be in.

if my hunch is correct, and your a DJ. you will need your speaker to be able to be set up fast and be adaptive to the room.

so, go. take a listen to the speakers, then you can ask

'what speaker would fit with my setup?. I liked A and B but do you think it would sound bottom heavy in a 500 person crowd?'

what equipment will you be useing along side this? (for example. cheap soundlab/gemini speakers would not be loud enough to cope with the output of any of these.)

I would recommend looking at what the manufacture of your high speakers recommend. (JBL's recommendations of subs and tops work together amazingly)

I can't go and listen to them because there isn't a shop that has any decent subs on demo or will even let you demo them for about 130 miles from me. The nearest place I know of that has any is London I think. And then they've only got a few like RCF's 4Pro 8001-AS and none others. Plus there's no hire companies for about 90 miles that have any subs under £3,000 for hire for me to listen to. All the hire companies use L Acoustics, EAW and Turbosound. Like I can afford that. For low and gutsy bass what do you think about these? Have a look at the frequency response.

Electrovoice QRX218 Dual 18"

DB Technologies Arena Pro SW18 Single 18" (not to be confused with the standard arena series)

Here's the frequency chart for the DB Technolgies subs :

http://www.dbtechnologies.com/images/produ...SW18%20PRO1.jpg

I play oldskool hardcore rave which has a lot of bass below 45hz with most of it around 30-40hz so do you think I'm on the right track with these subs? By the way Tolley, I'll be using them a village hall and also in a pub. I'm after 4 single 18" or 2 dual 18", or even 4 dual 18" if I can afford it.

I have heard the EV's and certainly pack a punch.

What do you already have for the mid/highs?

As mentioned the cabs you already have will need to have plenty of SPL to match x2 18" dual subs.

I don't think you will need four.

A mate of mine uses the EV subs mentioned by yourself, he only has two of them, and they thunder in even the biggest of rooms.

He pairs them with the EV eliminator. (x1 15" + comp)

Do you have a crossover or LMS?

What amps do you have to power these monsters?

I can't go and listen to them because there isn't a shop that has any decent subs on demo or will even let you demo them for about 130 miles from me. The nearest place I know of that has any is London I think.

Where are you? If you put your location in your profile, sombody may be able to point you to a supplier closer to you.

The other thing to look at is how portable these systems are. The JBLs are 78kg each, that’s a lot to lug about and if you load ins are anything like mine they will be up stairs, down narrow corridors etc

The RCF S8028 is slightly better at 64kg and the other RCF better still at 54kg

Out of all of these the JBL will produce the best results (IMHO) but is an awful lot of weight to carry about plus the weight of the amp+case

If I was in your position I would go for the active RCF model as it offers a good trade off between power and weight.

MarkPAman Said :

Where are you?

I'm here, sorry someone turned out the lights. Just kidding. I'm from boston, lincolnshire

in the uk. The mid/highs I have at the moment are Celestion QXi315 3-way cabs which are only capable of 119db continuous (rated as 125db peak, but you take off 6db and thats the accurate continuous rating), but I'm gonna be using 4 DB Technologies DVX D12 active cabinets here :

DB Technologies DVX D12 2-Way Active Speaker Cabinets

If I was going to go for the EV QRX218 subs then I'd power each pair of them with either a Crown XTi4000 running them stereao at 1,200 watts per channel into 4 ohms (1khz rating) or a pair of them on a Lab Gruppen FP3400 at 1,450 watts per channel into 4 ohms (20hz-20khz rating).

Do you guys know anything about the DB Technologies Arena Pro SW18? (not to be confused with the standard arena series) They're loaded with 1,000 watt rms RCF drivers. Have a look :

DB Technologies Arena Pro SW18 18" Subwoofer

Here's the frequency plot :

DB Technologies Arena Pro SW18 Subwoofer Frequency Plot

My idea for running 4 of them would off a Camco Vortex 6 amplifier as 2,100 watts per channel into 4 ohms and run 2 subs each side. By the way, I'm not at all bothered about size or weight because I've got a van and mates who'll help me. How come the JBL subs would give the best results because the frequency plots suggest that the EV subs are louder and go lower than the JBL's.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all relative, it's all subjective, but IMO the SRX boxes will hardly give out gut wrenching bass. Multiples maybe, but then again, we have to look at the efficiency and how multiples will compare to singles of something else.

Gut wrenching bass if such a term is in anyway accurate to a type of LF reproduction is something I would expect to hear from D&B B2's EV X subs, Martin WS218X and on a budget, the Thomann TP218....no really, do have a listen if you ever get the chance.

I would be interested in anyones opinion on the Thomann Subs, as I may be looking for some 2x18 subs for live band application?

• 2 weeks later...

What about Ohm HD_BB ?

The spec from Ohm is :-

SPL 1w/1m - 104db (110db for a stack of 4)

Max cont 140db (146db for a stack of 4)

Freq resp ( -3db) 37hz - 130hz

These should be loud enough and low enough and at 4000w each you wont need many .

Archived