Dimmers on the same channel....

mkbatten

Hi guys, simple questions....

I know that if I link a DMX desk with the first 4 faders serving channels 1,2,3,4 to a DMX dimmer pack set to 1,2,3,4 then it will dim those channels, my question is....

if I set up as above, and then go from the out DMX on the dimmer pack into a second pack also set to channel 1,2,3,4 will this then dim both of them? or will this confuse the whole system?

thanks

matt

I ment dimmers not dinners in the title! just thinking of dinner!!!

Gord0n Ram$ey, Jam1e 0liver, they do dinners on the same channel...

But seriously, DMX is dumb, all a device really knows is where it is in the sequence of channels, so whatever you address the same be it a dimmers, movers, DMX toasters, whatever, they'll all do the same if like units are addressed the same. Problems can arise where you have a dimmer on DMX 1 and a scroller on DMX 1, if that was the way when you fade in the lantern the scroller would scroll.

HTH

Gord0n Ram$ey, Jam1e 0liver, they do dinners on the same channel...

But seriously, DMX is dumb, all a device really knows is where it is in the sequence of channels, so whatever you address the same be it a dimmers, movers, DMX toasters, whatever, they'll all do the same if like units are addressed the same. Problems can arise where you have a dimmer on DMX 1 and a scroller on DMX 1, if that was the way when you fade in the lantern the scroller would scroll.

HTH

You jest - but I have had to run a toaster and a coffee brewer from DMX relay switch before!!!. ** laughs out loud ** actually . . . .

DMX toaster, now that is a bloody good idea, set a wait on LX q whatever, time it so you do your scene change in the interval, then you got a nice piece of toast ready and piping hot.

*seeks patent approval!!*

Problem with that is most toasters require mains to stay down to you can't really load it.

DMX toaster, now that is a bloody good idea, set a wait on LX q whatever, time it so you do your scene change in the interval, then you got a nice piece of toast ready and piping hot.

*seeks patent approval!!*

Problem with that is most toasters require mains to stay down to you can't really load it.

perhaps the use of a moving head to push the lever down instead? Im sure nicely shuttered source4 can be used to ensure the toast is nice and hot

• 3 weeks later...
Ah, but if you buy one of those expensive toasters that cost upwards of £70 (they don't pop up) you could just open the fader to start cooking and lower it when done!!!!!!!?

I've known followspot ops to heat food (most notably an apple pie) between their last cue and interval ... suppose you could fashion a DMX controllable toasting appliance with a parcan :stagecrew:

(This has gone waaay off-topic hasn't it)

Archived