Shure SCL3 IEMs and Custom ear molds

Sam Jelfs

Hi All

Looking at getting some IEM's, mainly for when I'm mixing but also for the MP3 player when I'm out and about on the trains... Just wondered if anyone has any experience of the Shure SCL3's (or what used to be the E3's), particularly with custom ear molds rather than the standard ear buds. Are they any better / worse than the UE Super.fi 5 pros or the Etymotics? The UE's and the Shures w/ molds are about the same money, the same input sensitivity and give the same level of sound attenuation. Only thing I can't seem to find on the net is the frequency response of the Shures to compare to the UE's

All opinions welcome.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

you can not get Custom Molds for Shure E3's or the new name if you want Customs get UE 7's (triple drivers) or above. (contact Hand Held in the UK).

E3 SCL3 are the bottom of the range single drivers

for non customs I use UE5's or Shure SCL5's both are great these are both dule drives systems

the good thing about the UE's are the cable can be changed but the shure sounds better to me.

I am a monitor eng. so spend most of my working life with IEM in and both are good over long periods of time

Colin

you can not get Custom Molds for Shure E3's or the new name if you want Customs get UE 7's (triple drivers) or above. (contact Hand Held in the UK).

E3 SCL3 are the bottom of the range single drivers

for non customs I use UE5's or Shure SCL5's both are great these are both dule drives systems

the good thing about the UE's are the cable can be changed but the shure sounds better to me.

I am a monitor eng. so spend most of my working life with IEM in and both are good over long periods of time

Colin

ACS do custom sleaves for the E3's.

The reason I was asking about the Shure E3's and custom sleaves was that by budget won't stretch to the $850 that the UE 7's are... If I could afford them / warrent them, then I would. Where as the E3's plus custom sleaves, E2's, or ER-6i's fall within my price range.

Thanks for the input.

Archived