PA Offer

schooltechie

Hi Blue Room

I have been offered to buy a PA for £400, I have done some research and it looks like a good deal to me! I just thought I would ask what other peoples opinions were before I went and said yes.

The Equipment as follows:

4 - 12" EV Stage 200 Boxes

2 - 15" Ev Bass Bins 400Watt (Don't Know Model)

Shuttle Sound Crossover

1 - EV P3000 Power Amp

1 - 12 Channel Studiomaster desk (Don't Know Model)

Various Outboard

4 Speaker Stands

Various Connecting Leads (All Neutrik)

My instincts tell me to go for it, but I just wanted to double check.

Alex

I'm realy asking is the above kit worth that money or more less and is it of any decent quality?

If all is working fine then that indeed does look quite good.

If you were buying new, you'd ne looking at £150 or thereabouts for some very budget 12" cabinets, so there's your money already.

As for the quality of the kit, none of it I going to blow you away, but it isn't terrible either.

The key question is, what are you wanting to do with it?

Think about the other expenditure this will force - mics, mains cabling and possibly some racks. This may well come to the amountyou've already paid for the whole setup.

Do you need it or do you want it? Both are fine if the money is there, I bought my first PA largely to play with, and spent considerably more money than that.

My personal thought would be to go for it. Even if you don't use the system as a whole, you've got a fair few bits and bobs there. Speaker stands are £20 on their own!

That is actually quite ridiculous. How have you come about such an offer, may I ask? I'd be over the moon paying 400 for the amp alone. This is a complete, working system? Various outboard...I am insanely jealous.

Oh, if you have any doubts, pass along my details. I'd have this up like a shot.

The offer sounds almost too good to be true, which is worrying, as most things that sound too good to be true are too good to be true.

As others have mentioned, the P3000 alone is worth around £400 (more if in good condition).

I recommend you satisfy yourself as far as possible that the vendor's reason for sale is genuine. Rather than being blunt and offending, you could ask if the vendor has any of the user manuals that came with the kit, say they'd be useful to help you learn the outboard <_< . If he/she has acquired the kit illigitimately, it will be unlikely there will be any manuals.

Hope this helps

Tony

Thanks for all the replies!

It will be mainly used for Rock bands and the ocasional musical theatre.

I do have the money there and do need a PA.

I will be listening to the system before I buy it obvioulsy.

I got the deal through a friend of a friend who "needs the space", I like the tip about the manuals thanks Tony! I don't want to be dealing in anything stolen for obvious reasons! All in all I think I will go for it and let you all know what I think!

Alex

Do your best to view / listen to the individual elements before purchasing.

I assume you'll configure so that the studiomaster (assuming its a model that has a built in power amp) will be powering the tops and the p3000 will be powering the subs? in some form of cabling config.

worst case scenario, if the p3000 is working fine, you should be able to make most of the money back if things don't work out.

At the end of the day, its a decent amount of stuff for the money. Particularly if your in a position where your not going to miss that amount of money anytime soon, then why not?

The sound quality won't blow you away (as previously mentioned) but if your clever with your positioning and think about what you doing with the rig (not distorting it, EQ effectively if needed etc etc) then you should be fine..... im sure many of us can remember making superly poor sounding rigs work with a shoe string? just have a play, see what you can get and work with / around it

hth

si

Archived