Rivets

Talisman

Just bought a Triflite case - pretty good quality with Penn Elcom fittings etc. I need to fix some 3mm alumin. angle to the inside to hold a lift out tray. Not sure if the case is wood - seems to be more like fibre

Q: Whats the best type of rivet to use - the inside needs to be ground flush with the inside surface of the shelf the angle will create with dome head on outside - Any ideas please?

Thanks

If you need the rivet to be flush on the inside you're probably best not to use a standard rivet and then grind it flush. You'll grind the entire head off and have nothing left to hold onto the angle with. If you definitely need to rivet it I'd suggest a countersunk rivet. You'll need to drill and countersink the angle before you rivet it but it will give you a flush finish without having to grind anything. If you use a standard countersunk rivet you'll get a pretty nasty bump on the outside face of the case. There are a couple of companies that make 2 piece rivets; you stick the two pieces in from each side and then rivet the two bits together. That way you get nice looking heads both sides. Not sure if they come in countersunk though. If it's a wood case you might be better off with a countersunk wood screw. Easier to install but might be a little more likely to wiggle out over time. Does mean that you don't have to drill it out if you want to take the angle out.

Just a thought. If you flip the angle over so that the rivets are on the underside you won't have to worry about what the heads look like. But then I don't know what your tray looks like.

hth

Ben

the inside needs to be ground flush with the inside surface of the shelf the angle will create with dome head on outside

Why's that then? Which way up are you using the angle?

Thanks for both of the above responses - its greatly appreciated. I want to reinforce the leading edges on the hinge and latch side with the upper leg of the angle, but Yes it had occurred to me to invert the lengths to hide the fixings inside. <_<

Cheers

Archived