Live Use Condenser Mic

oligoon

Hi,

guys - forgive me if this is another noob post - but I'm not sure of the best way to proceed here:-

I've got an upcoming drama production with some musical numbers which has 2-3 female vocalist's (poor mic technique as they are kids). There is a live band as well - but as it isn't a gig and doesn't need to be very loud and to keep it simple I'm just leaving them with their amps.

so the question:-

do I use 3 off SM58 which I already have and personally don't much like for female vox (seems harsh) or invest in a low/med priced condenser mic (Rode K2 or similar) which will capture all 3 vocals.

the Rode K2 seems to have very varying reviews - people either saying its great or its crap. I guess its expectation - you wouldn't expect a mic costing £300 ish to sound as good as one costing 2 or 3 times as much. however is using such a mic in a live and noisy environment (the singers are right next to the band) doomed to failure?

anyway - any comment?

58s (one each) right by the gob, are what you need. B-)

Or for better results with female singers, try some of Sennheiser's offerings. The E865 is particularly good; the last singer I used one with (who usually used her own 58) asked me straight after the gig what mic it was so she could get her own!

58s (one each) right by the gob, are what you need. B-)

Or for better results with female singers, try some of Sennheiser's offerings. The E865 is particularly good; the last singer I used one with (who usually used her own 58) asked me straight after the gig what mic it was so she could get her own!

I was about to suggest the E865, for female vocals I tend to find they give a warmer sound then the faithful 58.

also, be careful with the band and their volumes, they may increase it during the show!!!

What mixer are you using?

I'm not a great fan of the SM58 but, let's face it, there are a lot of them out there and they get used for a lot of things. So long as your mixer has a decent EQ section it's possible to tame the harshness (mainly caused by the upper mid peak). I'll wager an awful lot of us here have an EQ setting we use as a starting point when mixing with SM58s

If I was buying or renting they wouldn't be my choice. However, given that you have them I probably wouldn't spend extra money--I'd just tweak the mixer.

Bob

If you're able to get some I like Beta 87s for female vocals. Your local hire company will be able to recommend something though, why not see what they have in stock - they're bound to have either Sennheiser or Shure options that would fit the bill. If you let us know where you are based I'm sure someone will point you towards a local company.

Having said that, even the best mic will never be a substitue for good vocal technique. Why not get them to rehearse to a quiet backing track without mics to get them used to projecting properly and then you'll have a much easier job.

guys - thanks for replies - I'll try to respond to all your queries:-

to make the situation clear:----

my missus is the local skool drama teacher for 11-18 year old kids. every year we do a skool production, which this year is Wind in the Willows.

the lower 6th always compose and perform music as part of the play (from now on I will refer to them as the band!) - this is always written and performed to a very high standard. however this year there are no vocalists in the band, hence we have recruited some year 10's (14-15) to sing. They actually have pretty decent voices, but are not used to singing into a mike.

the mixer I am using is a cheap and cheerful Peavey PV10 which has pretty basic EQ (hi, mid, low) - I know this will probably not help the overall sound quality but the skool mixer (Allen & Heath 24ch) is just too much effort for a small show. I do have a valve mic preamp that may assist - but only 1.

I will check out the e865 as this sounds like a good bet for what I want.

as regards the band turning up the volume - most of them are non technos so I don't think will play with the settings - although the drummer never listens to any instructions. this can be a major issue - at the last battle of the bands the last band turned themselves up so loud as they played the only think I had up was the Vocal, even then the audience left coz it was too much - so I know what you mean,.

the mixer I am using is a cheap and cheerful Peavey PV10 which has pretty basic EQ (hi, mid, low) - I know this will probably not help the overall sound quality but the skool mixer (Allen & Heath 24ch) is just too much effort for a small show. I do have a valve mic preamp that may assist - but only 1.

I'd have thought that changing to the school's mixer will probably give a bigger improvement than changing the mics.

I'd change the mixer too . It will be worth the effort . I have a similar situation next month with a college panto . Use the college 'B word' desk or use my A&H , no competition even though I have to lug it up 2 flights of stairs . If you are in Somerset I could let you try a couple of e865s .

ok - I guess I'm gonna have to get the big mixer out - more back strain and wondering why I cant get any sound out!

I am in somerset - but down near yeovil whic is a fair run from burnham - but ta for offer.

I will invest in a simngle e865 and try it against the 58 (with eq tweeked as suggested).

I hear what you say about carrying a "big" mixer around--I'm one of the aging members here and it's amazing how much heavier gear is than it used to be!

However, back ache is the right decision here. Any audio chain is only as good as its weakest link and I'm afraid plugging a decent condensor mic and a valve preamp into the Peavey mixer is a bit like go faster stripes on a Lada. The school is lucky to have an A&H mixer and I think the back-ache-change will make quite a difference to your sound.

As for trying the e865, if you have other uses for it, by all means go ahead. They're a nice mic. However, I wouldn't be rushing to spend the money just for a one-off show.

Bob

Archived