pc based 'auto eq'

johndenim

Hi All.

Having recently dipped into my deep pockets I have bought a budget m-audio digital interface to transfer my backing tracks

from pc to md.

Having recorded some tonight, I have noticed that although they are from the same studio, some have predominantly more lf than others, and some more or less hf.

This is noticable upon playback.

(I am using virtual dj for playback on the pc)

I was just wondering whether there is a program with some kind or 'normalizer' or auto eq that I can preset?

I can't eq through the desk as there is no usb port, I am just going from pc-interface-md.

The VU's on the md are peaking at -2dB on every track, but the eq is different.

Any other thoughts please?

Cheers,

John Denim.

Hi,

If you have access to the software, try the Multi band Compressor in Adobe Audition. I have version 2.

It can take a bit of tweaking, but can be quite effective in "normalising" the eq of different tracks. It is a very popular feature of mine.

Alternatively, maybe you have access to different software with a similar feature?

Good Luck,

Chris.

Hi,

If you have access to the software, try the Multi band Compressor in Adobe Audition. I have version 2.

It can take a bit of tweaking, but can be quite effective in "normalising" the eq of different tracks. It is a very popular feature of mine.

Alternatively, maybe you have access to different software with a similar feature?

Good Luck,

Chris.

Thats the one I was thinking of, damn you chris morgan you beat me to it.

he is right though, it can take some tweaking.

Dan

I was just wondering whether there is a program with some kind or 'normalizer' or auto eq that I can preset?

I don't think there is. Multiband compression may get you close but will probably still need adjusting for each track. Your ears & brain will know how you want it to sound, your computer will not.

IIRC Virtual DJ has many clever DJ tools but not many audio editing ones.

So, if you're going to have to adjust your settings for each track, a good parametric eq may well be the best tool - try Audacity. If you have a multiband comp, by all means use it, but it may be over the top (and complicated) for what you want.

Can I suggest not using virtual DJ in the first place? Get yourself a copy of traktor. It's got normalization and an EQ so you'll be more likely to get the sound you want.

Alternatively just make sure you record your MP3's or WAV's at 128kbit or higher losless format and they should all have the same audio characteristics.

*edit* You can also use iTunes to do the same sort of thing. It's free too

Archived