Things we do for love

markymark31

Evening all,

Just registered and I'm enjoying reading lots of posts !

I do the lighting for a small amateur theatre group. Their next production will be Alan Ayckbourn's "Things we do for love". They've sent me this picture of the set that they want to recreate !

We've got an initial production meeting shortly, have you got any general advice on not just how you go about lighting something like this but also how you go about building a structure like this, that I can take along with me to this meeting ??

Many thanks,

Mark

IF you can persuade them to add an upright downstage-centre, where the corner of the upper level is, it would make your life a whole load easier! Otherwise you've got to support a large chunk of the upper level from above. You could create something very like what's in the photo using large quantities of Steeldeck (or similar) and a lot of cladding, but it would be far from easy. Apart from anything else, it'll be a bugger to get light into the back of the living room!

I think the key words in your post are "small" and "amateur" - they have to realise that they must work within the available resources (time, budget, materials, skill). Fine, use a photo like that as a starting point for discussing a set design - but attempting to faithfully recreate the set in the picture would, I fear, be stretching the aforementioned resources of most amateur groups well beyond what they could reasonably cope with.

EK Rep did this about four years ago, amateur production, multi-levelled, though not quite as this picture. If you have a stage then using that and the floor in front of it will give you two of the three(?) levels required. They had a central flight of stairs, with one room off the top (SR, the one he shoulders the door of), her fancy flat off the stairs halfway up on the SL side, and the creepy neighbour's (?) flat on the stage level, SR of where the stairs began. Since the three rooms were offset on different sides/ levels, there were no ceilings....so lighting was easy enough.

Google East Kilbride (EK) Rep and give them a call, someone's bound to have pictures. Or try the Village Theatre in East Kilbride, the council-run venue where it was performed. I remember the set was built on stackable rostra as opposed to steeldeck, the kind of rostra that is also regularly used to create temporary seating banks.

Hi Gareth & Jram, thanks for the replies !

Good advice Gareth, thanks, it will be interesting to see what everyone's thoughts are when we sit down around the table to discuss.

They've got some accomplished set builders so they must be fairly confident to even consider having a go !

Jram I have emailed EK Rep, will wait and see what comes back.

It's certainly going to be an interesting one ! I've lit multi level stuff before but never one that potentially comes right to the front of the stage, so I have been thinking the same thing that it'll be a bugger to get a decent amount of light right to the back of the living room without it looking messy.

Thanks again,

Mark.

As the Mods often request, it might be useful if the OP would put a location in his profile, he might get more offers of help from someone local to him!

And Mods, how about making it a condition of membership to have a location? Just a thought! ;)

And Mods, how about making it a condition of membership to have a location? Just a thought! ;)

It already is.

From the T&Cs :

PROFILE INFORMATION

Please ensure all the information contained within your Blue Room profile

is correct and up to date. Specifically, your name, geographical location and

year of birth are mandatory in order to verify your identity, these details

are visible to members and guests. Failure to provide the mandatory profile

information, or misrepresentation via misleading information in your profile,

may lead to suspension or removal of your account.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be enforced, so sometimes it can be very difficult to get any sort of idea of who you're having a conversation with.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be enforced, so sometimes it can be very difficult to get any sort of idea of who you're having a conversation with.
Off you go Gareth; set an example to the others! ;)

Seriously though folks, it REALLY does help everyone. Town, county or even country if that is more relevant...

Done. Not being vain enough to view my own profile page, I hadn't realised that I had bits missing!

However, perhaps that particular section of T&Cs should either be enforced as it ought to be, or removed from the T&Cs. As the wise man once said - "sh!t or get off the pot"!

However, perhaps that particular section of T&Cs should either be enforced as it ought to be, or removed from the T&Cs. As the wise man once said - "sh!t or get off the pot"!

Actually we do chase people about incomplete profiles as and when we notice something missing but I don't think anyone is volunteering to work through the 9.747 existing profiles. Profile problems tend to get noticed when a member draws themselves to our attention for other things....anyone staying below the radar might not be caught for a while.

Bob

Archived