Small Follow Spot

Noizyboy

I occasionally have to use a Pulsar 650w spot on a Doughty tripod. The fixture has a handle on the back and leaving the stand collar a little loose along with the swivel lock on the unit side you have a very cheap followspot. I know it's not the ideal solution but it works especially if the budget is very tight. I now it's not ideal but it serves the purpose.

I'm curious as to why you say you want to run it off an analogue desk - if you're plugging the spot into a dimmer, then it makes no difference whether the desk is analogue or DMX - a dimmer is a dimmer! That aside, you could look at a Selecon Pacific followspot - you have the option of a 1kW or 600W lampbase, they're quite compact units and you can get different lens tubes for them which means you can get the one that best suits your application. I would say though, from experience, running a followspot from the lighting desk can be problematic - you're better to try and get an external dimmer for the spot, just makes life easier. Here in New Zealand we almost exclusively use Theatrelight's Singlefade dimmers on tungsten halogen spots, but I don't think you can get them in the UK.

I occasionally have to use a Pulsar 650w spot on a Doughty tripod. The fixture has a handle on the back and leaving the stand collar a little loose along with the swivel lock on the unit side you have a very cheap followspot. I know it's not the ideal solution but it works especially if the budget is very tight. I now it's not ideal but it serves the purpose.

This looks the most economic and compact solution. We have some Strand Quartet Profiles, I will rig one up on a stand and see how it looks.

Thanks every one else for your suggestions

The Selecon Pacific followspot which GG recommended above is a hell of a tool but will be well outside any budget purchase, but if you need a "small" followspot then an ordinary Selecon Pacific 12/28 profile with a iris makes a fine small followspot.

If you can get away with a profile mounted on a stand, then fair enough; even if you're not using it as a followspot, then you can always use the profile for its original purpose, I guess.

I would question the wisdom of whether or not an amdram group really needs to buy a followspot, though - I guess this is a question only you can answer. They're fairly bulky to store, and unless you're using it in virtually every show, it might take a while before it becomes more cost effective than hiring. Stage Electrics hire out Cantata spots, with a dimmer, stand and boomerang for £44+VAT pw. We have a spot that was donated to us (Selecon Chorus, which I would suggest as a nice second hand purchase if you are set on buying something), and we've only used it a handful of times since getting it a few years ago.

Hi

I am trying to find a small follow spot for our am dram group.

I would want to run this from an analogue desk, under 1Kw would be fine.

We have very limited space and budget, any suggestions?

If you check out E BAY on a regular basis, say once a week, you can get some good bargins, I have purchased quite a few second hand lights off e bay at very good prices, some times they need to be cleaned up a bit, or even a coat of paint, but if you are handy its not normally a problem. a 1K profile would be ideal.

A Patt 23N???

I'm a fond Strand lover, but even with a modern bubble, these things were never very bright. The gate area gets really hot and the Strand Irises made it VERY easy to touch the metal below the insulated iris knob. It's a nice looking beast in the MKII version, but I certainly wouldn't seek one out.

I have to say that whenever I do projects for schools and colleges, I never, ever spec a followspot. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the damn things are responsible for the worst possible lighting in places where their people don't appreciate lighting design. A local holiday centre to me has their ents team work one one some kind of rota - the brief seems to be:

Switch it on (no dimmer)

Point vaguely at stage (hitting the performer is a bonus)

From time to time, look at stage and see if they have moved. If you can work out where to, try to find them again - the further distance you go the better.

Sit down, and work it by pulling on the mains cable rather than stand up, and lastly

don't touch the size knob thingy - somebody set it to perfect 3 weeks ago, so don't touch.

At least, this must have been what they were told, because they all seem to do it!

Archived