Need a 24-32 channel mixer

SLM-285

Hello all,

My company (currently without a desk) needs a sound desk for our performances and possible tour towards te end of the year.

We last used a sound craft live (24 channel) and found it to be sufficient, We need something such as an Allen and Heath PA28 or GL2200 for less than £700 including a flightcase would be good. Second hand would be acceptable but preferably new, (ex demo would be fine too)

Thanks in advance for the help

SLM-285

Before you choose a mixer I think you need to do a bit more thinking about the features you need to have--things like:

-how many auxes and the pre/post split

-how many sub groups

-how much you use/need good EQ

-whether you need any stereo channels along with the mono ones

....and so on. Your answers to these questions will determine which models from the various manufacturers you require. In turn this will help you decide between used and new.

My instinct is that you will be pushing it to find a new Soundcraft or A&H (cased) within your budget, with the possible exception of the PA28. The used market might be for you and might get you a better mixer anyway.

The one other make/model you might look at would be the Yamaha MG series. You'll be able to get a new mixer in the 24/32 size range well within your price. Sonically they're not as good as the Soundcraft or A&H but they're reliable work-horses, used in a lot of schools.

Only you can decide if they're suitable though...personally I might well go for a second hand A&H or Soundcraft.

Bob

Edited to fix the misplaced "Yamaha" as pointed out by Rob...thanks mate...it WAS late here...and the wine didn't help either. Well, it DID help...just not my typing!

Naturally when Bob says

Sonically they're not as good as the Soundcraft or Yamaha but they're reliable work-horses, used in a lot of schools.

He means A&H not Yamaha. However, given what time it is where Bob is when he posted, we can let him off.

You're not going to get a GL2400 new or ex demo for that money. Mine was ex demo and still came in at £1000. Good desk if you can get one though.

There are some 2200's kicking around second hand.

If you're looking new then I think you're limited to the very cheap behringer or the Yamaha mg32 which may just come in below £700 with the right deal. The Yamaha is ok for the money, certainly worth the extra over the behringer. Just watch their numbering, mg32 actually means 24 mono channels. The only downside of this desk is the lack of direct outs and that it only has 60mm faders.

You're not going to get a GL2400 new or ex demo for that money. Mine was ex demo and still came in at £1000. Good desk if you can get one though.

I disagree... they are out there for your price. you just have to find it. which may take a while. and the blue-room classified section is excellent. (I managed to pick up a ML3000 for £1200! (thanks again Simon panos!))

good luck with your searching!

You can do my shopping any time, nothingatall666. A new 24 channel ML3000 goes for around £3500 before you case it.

A new GL2400 24 channel would be around £15-1600. However, on the used market it should squeak into the OP's budget with a bit of luck. From the Soundcraft range, I'd probably be looking at a used LX7.

Bob

I have just found this Behringer desk £399.99, not sure how good it is, or anything ** laughs out loud **.

so if anyone has any experience with a Eurodesk SL3242FX or with the company and the reliabilty of their kit etc. then please let me know.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_SL3242FXPRO.html

http://www.behringer.com/SL3242FX-PRO/index.cfm?lang=ENG

The only experience I've had with them is of the Eurolight LC2412, and Ididnt like it one bit.

Thanks again guys

SLM-285

I've been using that exact desk for about 3 years now(I think!!!). Been quite happy with it considering what I paid for it. Probably not in the same league as the A&H or Soundcraft (as mentioned above). I'm looking to upgrade in the near future and looking at the Allen & heath ZED 428, GL2400 24 or a soundcraft desk..... probably an LX7 or similar. Definately after a 4 band eq though!!!

Behringer desks, in my opinion, represent good value for money. However, it must always be remembered that the "money" is very low. If you're used to mixing on an A&H or Soundcraft then you will not be very happy on a Behringer. If you want some examples of why not, just look at the 60mm faders and the EQ section which is almost...but not quite...perfectly unmusical. I also wouldn't count on a Behringer lasting nearly as many years as the better boards.

Bob

Archived