DofE Opportinities

Blaize110

I am just starting my Gold Duke of Edunburgh Award and it occurred to me that I may be able to do a Skill, Residential and/or Volunteering relating to the industry. Does anyone have any experience of or know about any of these kind of things?

Rory

When I was doing my gold DofE a few years back they were celebrating its 50th anniversary (or something like that) and they organised a big concert / mini festival type celebration and offered positions on the crew for people to do as their residential. Unfortunately it ended up getting cancelled so I never did it, but it just goes to show that you can do this sort of thing as part of your residential... although finding someone / somewhere where you could do it may be hard.

Obviously for the one mentioned above it would have been doing b1tch work as it was open to everyone and they wouldn't have let a group of random kids young adults loose doing anything important, but it could have been fun.

Actually now I think about it I haven't actually finished my DofE... should probably do something about that.

I'm quite sure you can do something like Theatre Studies or Technical Theatre as a skill. Our in house technician (a maths teacher) is also involved with running D of E at our school this year, and him and I are working on a program of teaching for one of our technicians so she can complete her skill section in Technical Theatre.

I would be interested in how this goes for you, and I'll be happy to keep you updated on what we're doing.

Archived