After trying digital whats the point of an analogue console?

strandgsx

After using a digi console, will you ever use analogue again?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Since using a digi console, will you ever use or buy analogue again?

• yes
    • no
    • will keep hands on both

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree, having saved loads of bands settings in my digi for future work with them, if you get a short set up just call up the band you've worked with befor closest to the situation your in, and "near enough to busk" settings are there. After all isn't the bass drum always on channel 1 and lead vocs on 23? :)

After all isn't the bass drum always on channel 1 and lead vocs on 23? :)

No. Which is rather the point. It is much quicker to turn physical knobs that you can see when in a hurry than ones you can't. For those no set up time at all bands, I sometimes find myself turning knobs with both hands to get channels set up faster. You just can't do this sort of thing with digital. And the thought process is so much more involved when you can't see at a glance what's going on.

personally I have only used smaller digital desks.. (such as yamaha 01v96) and the thing that gets me about them is fader layering..

I hate having to "jump" to something to do it fast yet having to push buttons to get the faders into the correct mode.

For these reasons I LOVE that digital desks mean I can do an entire job with just a desk and some mics.

HOWEVER I much rather preffer to operate a manual desk. I just prefer "doing" than stopping to read through menus and selecting enter etc etc..

This topic is actually very relavant for me.

I am thinking of buying my first "proper" desk..

I am currently stuck between buying a A&H ZED 420, plus some EQs, effects etc

OR

The yamaha 01v96 and an output splitter, an ADAT.

Either way the price will work out the same but I only have money for one and I need to work out which will give me best results (unfortunately It might not be the one I preffer!!)

My 2p ; I have a Vi6 - its completely awesome - never going back. I too have saved all the band settings, including a large scale Elvis tribute ( kit / perc / 2 x gtr / 2 x acoustic / bass / 2 x keys / 3 x brass / 4 x strings / lead vox / 2 x bv's ) That combination of channels covers just about everything we do, and from that preset - as long as its patched properly - I can bring up the suitable faders reqd at the time and 'GO'.......... So the usual kit / bass / gtrs / vox bands are dead easy, and dare I say it , quicker than analogue ?

I started With analogue desks like sony and midas and got on well, but I won't buy anything other than digital now. I'd say I'm actually faster on a digi desk now than an analogue and not having to carry around stacks of outboard seals it every time for me.

personally I have only used smaller digital desks.. (such as yamaha 01v96) and the thing that gets me about them is fader layering..

I hate having to "jump" to something to do it fast yet having to push buttons to get the faders into the correct mode.

For these reasons I LOVE that digital desks mean I can do an entire job with just a desk and some mics.

HOWEVER I much rather preffer to operate a manual desk. I just prefer "doing" than stopping to read through menus and selecting enter etc etc..

This topic is actually very relavant for me.

I am thinking of buying my first "proper" desk..

I am currently stuck between buying a A&H ZED 420, plus some EQs, effects etc

OR

The yamaha 01v96 and an output splitter, an ADAT.

Either way the price will work out the same but I only have money for one and I need to work out which will give me best results (unfortunately It might not be the one I preffer!!)

I'd personally stick with analogue. the big desks still haven't found their feet, let alone the 16 channel desks!

I'd personally stick with analogue. the big desks still haven't found their feet, let alone the 16 channel desks!

Me too. BUT for what I have to offer to clients with my minimal buying power is pushing me towards digital.

Also there is the "storing at home" problem.

To say the 01V96 "hasn't found its feet" is just plain incorrect. The small Yamahas--particularly the 01V--have been professional work-horses for years and are ubiquitous in everything from edit suites to small studios to thousands in all sorts of live uses. There are a heck of a lot more of them in professional use than small A&H mixers, especially the Zed series which is relatively new. That said, I'm a big fan of A&H and am sure the Zed series will be good.

Which is the better for ceecrb1? It's a difficult call--the strengths and weaknesses are different. Certainly in the 01V youj're buying pretty much all the outboard you need as well as the mixer--and that outboard is recallable on the automation as well as mix settings. However, there will be a steeper learning curve to get the best out of the Yamaha--but once you've learned it, the functions will be second nature.

I think a big question might be: is this purely for personal use or will others also have to mix on it (and, if others, will they be your picks or outside clients)? If it's just you or a small number of people working for you, I'd probably go digital. If, however, the board will be widely hired out, then probably stick with analogue. FYI, this isn't just a random thought--the one desk I've bought with my own money is a Yamaha digital (DM1000) and you can bet I didn't lay out my own cash without weighing all the options!

Bob

Me too. BUT for what I have to offer to clients with my minimal buying power is pushing me towards digital.

Also there is the "storing at home" problem.

That proves your argument for digital, if money is tight the amount of bells and whistles, or should that be comps and limiters, you get as standard on a digi is the clincher. You can always add outboard as your requirements grow. I would also check out the Tascam DM24 against the Yamaha, slightly more user friendly.

I work daily with a yamaha 01v96... I know the desk and have very little of its functions left to learn.

Put it this way..

IF there was an option to have the 01 with all the faders.. and without any "layers" I´d buy it tomorrow!!!!

One major drawback for digital, to my mind, is that every desk is different. It might only take 15 minutes to learn the basics of a digital desk, but it'll take longer than that to be quick on the desk. Obviously analogue desks differ to some extent, but nowhere near as much as digital ones. Learn to use one analogue desk and you'll be able to use 95% of the features of 99% of all analogue desks immediately; learn one digital desk and you'll still have to spend those 15 minutes on every other one.

I don't think there's one simple answer to this question. If you spend the same amount on an analogue desk with outboard, and a digital desk, then the analogue one will almost certainly sound better, but not necessarily so much better that the clear advantages of the digital desk in size, weight and added functionality are outweighed.

I dont understand why people dont like layers, its one of the easier and more universally agreed features of a digital console! if you cant get your head around layers then I dont think you're going to like the future of digital consoles, because I dont see them going away.

oh no, my head gets round layers perfectly...

I just preffer to have all my faders at hand.. all the time..

Just how I like to opp rather than a "problem".

Put it this way....... If there was just a bolt-on fader module, which had nothing other than the faders, the solo, select and mute buttons, gains and connectors.. for such desks as the 01v and so on.....

I'd buy it!

But it would have to have the remaining desk's space filled with a coffee cup holder and vanity mirror. :-D

Its not SO bad that I wouldnt buy one of these desks....

Its just like I'd PREFER if the select button's led was brighter and flashed to give more noticibilty (on the yamahas)... its something I feel could be done better. but I wouldnt ban it from entering my home.

Archived