budget pa for 170 capacity venue

gnomatron

hello all,

I have a budget of about £1500 for an amplifier and Pa cabinets to be installed a 170 capacity venue, which is mostly used for comedy, small gigs, and the odd disco - wedding parties and the like. We're replacing a pair of Bose 802s which have done the job fairly well and should give a rough idea of what we're after.

Ideally the cabs need to be flown, as the space is a bit awkward and stands end up having to go onstage and eating up what little stage space there is.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

No room for bass cabs under the stage, one or two small ones onstage might be ok though. The discos are all fairly small party affairs, and tbh the 802s on their own have been acceptable in the past. The dancefloor is quite small and for various reasons we can't take the level very high in the room.

For one thing, we have a strict noise limit imposed by the licensing board - can't remember it just now though, think it's 85 or 90db. To top it off we have various portable systems if we really need more level.

My main requirement is a pa that will do comedy and small folk/acoustic gigs well, and won't mind the odd small disco.

How about a pair of Mackie SRM 450's? They are powered cabs so don't require an amp, which should free up some space on the stage. Also they have integral flying points and also a pole mount so it shouldn't be hard to get these cabs up in the air without stands. I have used these cabs for lots of different uses and have sounded great pretty much everytime. Perfect for acoustic stuff and should handle Speech and disco just fine!

Thats my 2p

No personal experience but from reading on here, the MK2 SRM450s aren't as good as the 1st gen ones.

RCF seem to be getting very good reviews on here.

Someone recently bought a pair of Art 522A's and loves them. OK, so they will come out @ £1600/pair but they seem worth it.

Josh

as for the mk1 and mk2 debate from mackie

the only difference ive noticed is the reliability, the mk2 are more suited to loud DJ's than before, which was desperately needed with the 50% failure rate we've had!

providing they arent going to get hammered by your DJ's, id go with the M K1's (you can get new with 12 months warranty for £699!!) and still have £800 left in the kitty, even if you splash out on a new desk or something :)

as for the mk1 and mk2 debate from mackie

the only difference ive noticed is the reliability, the mk2 are more suited to loud DJ's than before, which was desperately needed with the 50% failure rate we've had!

providing they arent going to get hammered by your DJ's, id go with the M K1's (you can get new with 12 months warranty for £699!!) and still have £800 left in the kitty, even if you splash out on a new desk or something :)

I agree the RCF before the Mackies! but think about EV SX300s with their tiny but powerful SB1 Subs! You prob could pick you a decent second hand set, and what have you got powering the 802s now???

Hello gnomatron,

What it appears that everyone is forgetting here is the fact you want to install and the fact you're not able to use subs.

If you're mounting on wall brackets you won't want to go the active speaker route (unless you happen to have power oskcets half way up your walls!), plus I'd go for a 15" to cover all eventualities.

I'd recommend either the passive/install versions of the 300 series of RCF ART, something like the RCF ART315i or ART 325i, they're actually pretty cost effective and you could do a pair of those for around £700 or something like the Peavey UL15's which are about the same price.

On top of that I'd use a matched power QSC amp of which I think you might even be able to afford one of the PLX lightweight amps and a pair of brackets and cabling within the whole budget.

Give me a PM if you want any further advice or model numbers..

In my opinion, its not really that hard to run a bit of trunking up the wall with a bit of power cable in.

Active speakers have advantages in many area, not just the obvious ones. The main advantage of them for your situation is that the amps are generally matched to the drivers there powering, resulting in a much more efficient cab. I would agree with bloxxrocks about the 15" though.

I would also reccomend the RCF speakers, however not the 525's, as there main advantage over the 325's are weight and volume, which neither of concern you, as a 325 will still push out 130db ish.

A pair of 322's would come to £1300, and there a brilliant sounding speaker, I have the 12" version and love it to bits, the 15" is equally as good from what I have herd of them.

Im not going into the whole makie vs RCF debate again, as I was indeed the one the raised the issue with the MK2 mackies, but lets just say I wouldnt tought mackie again after some of the experiences I have had with there products, especially the new SRM 450's. I know its harsh but I have lost all respect for the company, whilst RCF just keep ticking boxes for me, every prodcut they seem to make I love, I cannot wait to get a listen of there new NX series, if they sound as good as there ment to I think there going to be my next investment.

Hope this helps

Rich

I have been very happy with a pair of Mackie cz300 cost £320 for the pair .very clear sound for speaking and powerfull enough for the size of disco you are wanting . I have today checked the price of Jbl eon 1500 front of house speakers 2 way speaker system (black plastic cabs) at £359 a pair from Hbl I think delivery is £6 . Roy

Archived