Rates on filmed performances

Jram

I turned up for work tonight (spot op) to find that the performance was being filmed for a DVD release. Purely out of curiosity - the venue pays National Minimum Wage and does not abide by the BECTU/ TMA agreement - is it usual to get an extra payment for working on a filmed performance? A quick look at the afore-mentioned agreement and a brief google turned nothing up.

Any insight?

From the TMA/BECTU agreement ... does this help you?

3.3.6 TV / Video / Film

Where staff are called to work in the theatre for the purposes of a visual recording or electronic

media, a payment of one time extra shall be paid to such staff in respect of the hours worked

to facilitate the recording. This payment shall not apply in respect of the recording of a

rehearsal or performance for an Electronic Press Kit, for archival purposes, or for advertising

or promotional purposes.

Clicky

Excellent, thanks - that's exactly what I wanted to know. The DVD in question will be a commercial release by a stand-up comedian who is currently on a lengthy and largely-sold out tour. I'm in again tomorrow so I'll amend my timesheet and see what happens.

Thanks again, can't access PDF files on my stupid computer so grateful you extracted the paragraph for me :rolleyes:

As Suzette says, if a venue operates to the BECTU/TMA agreement (or a locally-agreed equivalent) it's the norm to be paid "time on top" when working on anything that's being filmed. Almost invariably, managements will attempt to argue that the filming is for promotional/marketing purposes (even if it's blatantly not!) in an attempt to avoid paying the premium rate - but filming an entire performance for a commercial release very clearly doesn't fall within that criteria. HOWEVER - if your venue doesn't operate to the BECTU/TMA agreement, you don't have a house agreement that encompasses premium payments for filming, and nothing was negotiated on a one-off basis in advance of this performance being filmed, then unfortunately I don't think you have a leg to stand on. :rolleyes:

I highly doubt they'll pay it. The venue is privately-owned and independently run, so operates to its own rules. They don't run minimum/ show calls (so if I work 2.5hours, then I get 2.5 hours pay), and even during panto when the cast are all on Equity minimum or above, the crew are on minimum wage. So no, I doubt this knowledge will do much beyond sating my curiosity. Thanks.

Archived