Cheap mic for PC recording

Paul_R

Looking for a cheap mic solution recommendation to use for recording a show rehersal alongside a CCTV type camera.

Needs to able to plug directly into the mic socket on a PC soundcard.

Distance to front of stage is approx. 6m

Its not something that is used frequently, hence the cheap requirement!

Thanks,

Paul

I wouldn't use the mic input on the soundcard. Instead, personally I'd grab something like the C01U and do it that way (USB). If you're using the mic input on the soundcard then to be honest almost any mic will do because the preamps on on PC soundcards are generally the worst on the planet! Just make sure it's a dynamic (not condensor) because you won't be able to give it phantom power.

Hmm I'd forgotten about the 5m maximum usb cable length! But using devices such as the one paul mentioned or using a (powered) hub half way should solve the issue. I'm sure someone must have a spare USB hub around somewhere!

I would recommend trying it if it's just a 6m run though, I've tried lengths like that before and they've been fine.

Thanks for the suggestion of the C01U.

I take it with the talk of extending the USB cable though, I would need to place the mic on the front of the stage, rather than on the back of the programming desk (hence the 6m comment..) to get acceptable results??

Bearing in mind that the rehersal level I am usually talking about is before stage/radio mic's are used (but is adult cast)...

If the mic preamp is so bad, would an alternative be a mic and an external preamp on the line-in be any better than the C01U?

Thanks,

Paul

It depends what you class as acceptable, it'd certainly be much better on the front of the stage and you'd probably get a far better ratio of signal / background noise. You'll get something 6m from the stage, but it probably won't be that clear!

If the mic preamp is so bad, would an alternative be a mic and an external preamp on the line-in be any better than the C01U?

It's an alternative but I wouldn't say it was a better one. If you're using a condensor mic (which I'd recommend) you'd also need a phantom power supply as well as the mic preamp, cables to go between them, and that's before you've got to the mic. It's a lot more hassle, would probably work out more expensive, and I seriously doubt you'll see a great jump in audio quality if you notice any at all.

It depends what you class as acceptable, it'd certainly be much better on the front of the stage and you'd probably get a far better ratio of signal / background noise. You'll get something 6m from the stage, but it probably won't be that clear!

I'm not so sure. A single mic on the front of the stage will give pretty uneven results. Lines delivered down stage centre will be great but anything SL or SR will sound pretty quiet. Six metres in front of the stage will give you a lot of room effect--but at least it will be general throughout the recording.

It's an alternative but I wouldn't say it was a better one. If you're using a condensor mic (which I'd recommend) you'd also need a phantom power supply as well as the mic preamp, cables to go between them, and that's before you've got to the mic. It's a lot more hassle, would probably work out more expensive, and I seriously doubt you'll see a great jump in audio quality if you notice any at all.

I discounted this idea on grounds of cost but the differences would certainly be noticeable. The noise floor of the mic input on a typical laptop (and, yes, this included Macs before the inevitable debate starts) is usually in the -40 to -50dB range--certainly audible on your recording. Worse, there is a fair bit of impulse noise on the mic input as things inside the laptop switch on and off. Conversely, a typical external sound card will give you a noise floor in the -80 to -90dB range and no input noise. Many/most will also provide phantom power for a condenser mic.

As I say, I didn't propose this earlier because of the "cheap" restriction placed by the OP. Frankly, unless there is a bit of budget for this I'm not sure anything you can plug into a PC sound card will be better than the onboard mic on camcorder.

Bob

Just make sure it's a dynamic (not condensor) because you won't be able to give it phantom power.

Most computer mic inputs have plug-in power on them. This is a low DC voltage intended for powering an electret condenser capsule - so any mic that will work with a belt pack with a 3.5mm socket on it will probably work with a computer mic input (this certainly holds true for older AKG mics but I've not tried any Sennheiser mics).

Cheers

James.

Thanks for the replies, I guess I should clarify a couple of points in aid of a recommendation...

I used the word 'cheap' when perhaps I should have set the context more, and said 'cost effective'.

I find it a valuable aid to use a recording of the rehersal the day after when editing LX cues.

In most instances I already have a PC at the theatre with me, and rather than use a camcorder I find it easier to work with a video file.

I have a camera that provides suitable feed to capture, but it does not have integrated sound.

The sound does not need to be broadcast quality, I just need to hear whats being said as to reference the script location, and a portable stereo backing track played at side of stage being sung over..

Either that or pick up a respresentation of whats coming from the main house PA, if there is a sound presence at the later rehersals....

As this gets used maybe 4-5 times a year, I made the cheap comment, as I would not consider say £200 to be cost effective for this, but the £50 C01U hits the mark. I would guess anything upto £100 is not out the question if it would be that *much* better than the £50 option..

I would definately have something that can sit on the production desk with me, and not have to trail a cable up the aud though....

I gave the small array mic that came with the sound card a test:

http://usa.asus.com/999/images/products/1163/mic.jpg

Yes, well it records something, just not very well as you would expect, hence looking for something that would work...

Thanks,

Paul

Well, a bit over your £100 upper limit, (I love spending other people's money!) but how about a RODE NTG2 SHOTGUN? It has performance darn near up there with pro shotguns costing several times as much, should give you good pickup of the whole stage from the production desk and it works from an internal AA battery, eliminating phantom power needs.

Bob

Archived