projection, or LCD/Plasma,

timtheenchanteruk

for our next production we are wanting to use some IMAG, the cameras are no problem, neither is distributing it between 2 screens.

We are in a quandry as to weather to use LCD Projectors, or to get a couple of LCD/Plasma screens. the theatrte isnt that big, 300 seater, the stage is about 40feet wide, and the screens will be mounted either side of the pros arch.

we have used our own projector before for small sections, witha fairly short throw and low lighting, and for this it worked fine.

However, this will require a longer throw, and use in higher lighting levels than our projector can cope with, plus having 2 we want matching images.

the throw will be around 12 feet on the horizontal, so not too much keystone with a screen size between 6 and 8 feet in 4:3, should we go with projectors, or would a proper physical screen be a better option?

also, do plasma/LCDs go properly black, or are they like Projectors?

thanks

Thinking economically and practically. It would cost less to hire two good projectors and rig them than two great LCD screens. The other point is the fact that its only a 300 seater. My local playhouse is a 350 seater and a video wall in there would do no better job than a projector.

Jerome

thats kinda the way I was going, we generally dont look at the cost too much, unless its ridiculous.

we will most probably be using composite, as this is what the vision mixer uses, although it can output S-video. we have run composite over this distance before with no problems.

Dont look at the cost too much??

not many of you around

40ft stage is big for a 300 seat venue

hire projectors with short throw lenses

go for 8 or 10ft rear screens with at least 5K projectors

plasmas will throw out light when they are on, like projectors that

don't have shutters (projectors with shutters cost heaps to hire)

ahh, well, its a be sensible thing I suggest it, get prices, its agreed/thrown out, its a famiy run kids theatre group, and we have the opinion if its worth doing, its worth doing right at the end of the day we are non-profit making so the show just has to pay for itself.

shutters are no problem, I have one I made up from an old CDrom drive and a DMX relay, so knocking another up wont be a biggie.

only catch with your plan jason is it has to be front projection, there is just nowhere to put rear projectors, the stage is wide, but not that deep, and only a 4 foot extention past the pros arch, the screens will be mounted on the pros arch, and the projectors on the front edge of the balcony, which is only about 12-14 feet away.

I will call down to get some accurate measurements to get quotes.

Ill look around for some projector hire places. if youve already PMd me, Ill be in touch.

thanks for the advice so far

I'd say projector - we have a similar setup (Along with a couple of other projectors I hook onto lighting bars occasionally for some plays when backdrop projection is required) and it works fine. I couldn't relay the specs or make of the projectors though, sorry. But, they are easily visible even when the full lights are on.

If the image is not going to be interupted (I.e people walking in front of it) or the projector/its rigging getting in the way I would suggest a projector.

Regarding price though a 50 inch plasma which should be big enough is probaly going to be cheaper than a 5,000Lu projector.

Archived