Dry Ice Ban

sam.henderson

Hi,

I have ben told that Dry Ice is to be banned and we will have to just use cooled smoke machines.

Now I cant believe this- its just perposterous 'cause what happens to all those peeps who have bought Dry Ice machines.

Maybe the person who told me ment that only Clear Channel were banning it in there venues but I'm not sure so can someone confirm or dissmiss (fingers crossed) this.

Ta,

Sam

haven't heard of that one.

I work for clearchannel and as far as I know they use dry ice on a couple of shows. I'm using Liquid Nitrogen at the moment with no issues what so ever. As long as the risk assesments are in place they cannot really argue. Probably a health and safety rep trying to hard again.

There is no general ban.

In some situations using a smoke machine insted of a dry ice machine is simply not possible. Try getting a low lying smoke effect on a large oudoor stage in a breeze for example.

What were the reasons given for the alleged ban?

Not sure someone just mentioned it to me the other day, I am sure it is rubish or a twisted version of the truth but was just windering.

Apparently it is after several people have burnt themselves badly on the machine etc etc.

Sam

Guest lightnix
Apparently it is after several people have burnt themselves badly on the machine etc etc.
Oh My God :o Well I suppose that spells the end for all those nasty hot lights, then :D ;) :P

Better throw all those dangerous kettles away, too. That nasty boiling water might hurt somebody.

Sounds like the problem is not Dry Ice but a lack of propper training and risk assesment.
You said it, but then again it's sooooo much easier to ban something than make sure it's being used safely :(

I wouldn’t have thought an outright ban would be put on Dry Ice, but there are issues, including the boiling water, but also tho other more important one, you can’t breath when in dry ice and can suffocate because its Carbon Dioxide.

Don’t really think musicians in the pit really like being suffocated while trying to play!

But with adequate ventilation it shouldn’t be a problem.

The fun one was the well known competition on a local radio station,

Yes we all know which one without actually even saying there name;

"Who can sit on a block of Dry Ice the Longest", the person who lasts the longest wins this fabulous prize,

for those who dont know the story, sounds like a wind up right? Well its actually true, if I remember rightly there were two(?) contestents of which both were submitted to hospital with burns.

:: Serious Note ::

The effect, as all effects are safe, providing it is bieng performed or operated by a COMPETENT Person. Someone who understands the effect, the materials and the risks, and can produce the relevant and detailed risk assesments it requires.

I wouldn’t have thought an outright ban would be put on Dry Ice, but there are issues, including the boiling water, but also tho other more important one, you can’t breath when in dry ice and can suffocate because its Carbon Dioxide.

The actual 'smoke' is not carbon dioxide but is infact nothing more than cold water vapour. There is carbon dioxide released however with proper risk assessments (I mean an assessment of the risks, this doesn't necercarily have to be written) prior to use there should not be a problem.

• 1 month later...
legislation wise, banning anything is ridiculously difficult. anyway, dry ice is used for far more important things than we use it for - until our fishing port shut down we could get dry ice at almost give away prices by taking away the little cut off bits they didn't load onto the trawlers - we actually had an ice plant on the quay - so banning it would be very difficult.

Archived