Standing Regulations

jmaudio

Hi,

I am helping to organize our annual rock concert at my school. In previous years we have had to have rowed seating and its made the event unappealing to people my age as your freedom to move/dance is somewhat restricted.

Apparently, according to my music teacher, the school doesn't have the right paperwork - I'm assuming to do with fire regs - to host an event where people can stand up.

So my question is: What are the regulations regarding standing/seating at concerts? Is it a simple case of asking for an inspection and then you are covered if anything happens? Is it free?!

Anyway, I'd appreciate any info on this, as I really know very little about it.

Cheers

Jamie.

I think you're supposed to allow a metre squared per person to determine capacity, although I can't remember where I got that from.

Speak to your teacher/s, the local council, an architect, an insurer, the fire brigade (not by dialling 999...) or the Citizens' Advice Bureau for clarification. Try and get a teacher or two onside to find out the specifics for your school or to help make your case for you.

If the event is in school time then I should think that health and safety will not be at all happy with this, even if the necessary precautions (bouncers/stewards/security) where in place.

If the event was out of school time then I should think that it could be as if you had hired the venue. Which means you would have a slight chance of getting a standing audience. If, of course you took all the precautions (audience management again plus you would not be able to work after 8pm and all the other health and safety rules about work) and the school would still have to give you permission to have a standing audience.

In the past at our school we have had to take people out of the audience if they decided to stand up.

Why not go for an acoustic gig?. Where people will want to sit down <_< .

As ever with schools, they take the simplest approach and ban things, then blame it on heath and safety. Most schools never had the old Singing, dancing and entertainment style license anyway, so it's common for many to not have any kind of public style license at all! They are a school, so the local authority have different arrangements. If they keep things safe all is well. Finding somebody able to say on paper "all is well" is much more difficult. Real venues with members of the public to protect have different requirements. If the head wanted to talk to the entire school s/he'd call everyone into the room you're talking about, squeeze them in and have the moan and groan session. 1m per person? more like 4 people per metre!

I bet the teacher hasn't even seen the paperwork - and probably even those that have don't understand it. Fire regs are now mainly self-assessment anyway, so pretty well it's up to the school to decide what they want to do, and if it's safe. Maybe they just don't want this kind of event?

http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications...firesafetyrisk6

Should be of some use, or one of the other guides listed on the RHS of the page. Free download at bottom of page.

Regardless, it would be the responsibility of the designated Fire Safety Manager (probably the head, or someone from within the LEA / LA) to do the risk assessment.

If the school doesn't have a premises license that permits "making music" or "live music" then you might be on a sticky wicket already...

If the school doesn't have a premises license that permits "making music" or "live music" then you might be on a sticky wicket already...
music/drama lessons?
Sorry, but what the h*** has that got to do with the requirement for a licence to hold an event open to the public? It is UNLIKELY that a variation to the licence would be needed, provided that the capacity wasn't altered. Best bet, as has been said, is to get a teacher "on-side" and get them to talk to LEA and or local authority.

• 3 months later...
quite, its actually 3.3 persons per sq m

Rubbish (again)

Where are these stupid numbers coming from?

I guess they are taking the number of people that are allowed to stand in their venue and dividing it by the floor area. You do then get the number that are allowed per sq m in that hall but it tells you nothing about any other.

Moderation: This makes two topics currently running on similar lines. As many people have pointed out, if a license exists then refer to it. Do the maths based on what it says, but please - remember that the figure on a license is often an arbitary figure that somebody calculated/guessed and relates to your own venue, with it's own combination of exit numbers, types, length of aislways, distance to outside etc. The yellow book contains good source material that licensing officials may base their figures on - but to the best of our knowledge the actual number that comes up is rather fluid.

Remember that any responsible person, either internal to a venue or externally, as part of a licensing authority have a duty to make the venue safe. So even where a license doesn't technically need to exist - somebody has to make the decision and carry the responsibility, so it's easy to understand why attempts to get them to change their mind often fail.

It's also worth considering that students are often fed dis-information, using vague references to law/rules/licenses to simply not do something they don't want to!

Archived