late payment fees

gnomatron

As for shows not happening... it's certainly a quick way to make change happen but not exactly an ideal one!

I agree that is a worst case scenario, however what you need to achieve is an idea in the finance department that shows may be cancelled because of this situation. Use a tool that is rife around Whitehall these days, a leak to the press. Clearly it can't come from you. However, if a few of your freelancers were to contact the student techs you use and tell them that such-and-such a show will not happen because they are not getting paid on time, then those students were to contact their representative on the Student Council who subsequently leaked the information to the Edinburgh Evening News .....

Just be careful in your position not to leave any paper or email trail that can lead back to you. Word-of-mouth only.

Shortcut the system and just tell the HYpe (is it still called that????) or 'Student' newspaper team, down at Pleasance.

IIRc, even in 2002-4 the same organisation (though a different dept) were always very slow to pay student volunteers for out of pocket expenses as well.

Just be careful in your position not to leave any paper or email trail that can lead back to you. Word-of-mouth only.

Like posts on a public internet forum, suggesting press leaks? :rolleyes: I've advised some of my freelancers that they should consider contacting Bectu if it continues like this.

I think gathering some paperwork as regards freelancers from other companies would be worthwhile, that sounds like good advice. I'll have a word with other student unions and see what they do as well. I think the problem stems from our finance dept only being willing to pay on their own, rather long, terms, for all invoices, not just freelance crew, but as ever it's the smallest suppliers that suffer worst in those situations.

Like posts on a public internet forum, suggesting press leaks? :rolleyes: I've advised some of my freelancers that they should consider contacting Bectu if it continues like this.

I think gathering some paperwork as regards freelancers from other companies would be worthwhile, that sounds like good advice. I'll have a word with other student unions and see what they do as well. I think the problem stems from our finance dept only being willing to pay on their own, rather long, terms, for all invoices, not just freelance crew, but as ever it's the smallest suppliers that suffer worst in those situations.

the way that some companies work is they have different payment terms for different types of supplier (i.e. standard, freelance, international), if you have specific queries feel free to p.m.,

• 5 weeks later...
For Information. There is a precedance in law that says the last set of communication overrides the previous

So for example if your Quote says payment in 30 days then that is what the law deems as payment. The supplying company would have to right back and if they accept your quote have to state in their communication to you that there terms and conditions apply ( ie 60 days) if they do that even in the small print then they win. You can right back and correct and enter a paper trail.

thats not strictly true,

terms and conditions ( inc payment terms) have to be agreed and signed by both parties for it to be binding.

if no such agreement is signed then the legal default is 30 days

Archived