Hitachi HDD file format

Roderick

I have been using a Hitachi DVD / HDD recorder to record footage and compile DVD's.

Now the DVD burner has failed and even a replacement drive won't work, it can't recognise discs. The repair quote for the recorder is more than the original purchase price (how do they work that out) so I will give that a miss.

But I have a few hours of footage on the HDD I would like to save. I pulled out the HDD and popped it into my PC where it is recognised but it doesn't recognise the formatting or file system, keeps suggesting I should format it ;)

Does anyone know if and how you could transfer files from a recorder HDD to a PC?

I could hook the recorder up to another machine and transfer them like that, but that would be rather boring.......

But I have a few hours of footage on the HDD I would like to save. I pulled out the HDD and popped it into my PC where it is recognised but it doesn't recognise the formatting or file system, keeps suggesting I should format it

Grab a copy of the knoppix linux live CD and boot the PC from that, it will recognise dozens of file systems (and it is good odds that that recorder was running linux anyway), it might well recognise your file system, hell it might even recognise the video file format....

Regards, Dan.

I'd definitely give Knoppix a try, but be warned that you can't modify anything on the hard drive you boot from by default (at least not last time I checked. I doubt it's changed though, it's more for preventing against accidental deletion than anything else!) You can over-ride it obviously, but I thought I'd mention it because that caught me out the first time I used it...

Archived