half a sixpence props

choo choo

Can anyone tell me where I can get a supply of reproduction newspapers- Times preferrred - Edwardian i.e. no pictures

I have scanned the repro sites and they will sell me a genuine paper for £40+ - but this one gets rolled/folded up and generally messed about with - surely someone prints these things on cheap paper - even if its just the front sheet.

Ta Muchly

I note from your profile that you work at an engineering company. Could you not use a plotter to print something out, onto a reel of newsprint? Thats how we do it here (at RWCMD). I don't know how much outlay a roll of newsprint would be, but perhaps you could convince your local newspaper press to do you something in return for an advert in the programme?

Thanks Peter for the prompt reply

I work from home as a design engineer and all my work is done on A3 size paper max- (a lot of places are going this way)

The local newspaper has been a thought but I was trying to find an "off the shelf" supplier first

When you find out can you let me know where you can get them from - as it is always something I am on the look-out for....

If anyone ever need wartime papers try the Imperial War Museum as they sell reproduction papers (mainly early 1940's) at a reasonable price in their shop.

The printed word were'nt able to help me direct but put me in touch with "Data Reprographics" They will do me a front and back page of 1910 Times broadsheet for about £20 - which isnt bad - though Chitterlow is going to be told to take care of it and make sure props get it back each night - or else :P

In the past I have made copies of newspaper front pages before by photocopying onto blank newsprint and then spray mounting it onto another newspaper. It's a bit fiddly because the copier doesn't always like paper that thin but it is possible. Well worth it so that you have a few backup copies.

When I had to do this for a melodrama I asked the local press yet they reused to help even in return for some comps and a mention in the program so I got a print company who had the technology to do it. They did it in return for some comps and an advert in the program. The newspapers looked v good and I even managed to get a relevent headline (the name of the show) and a relevent picture on it.

Don't know how they did them though

Sam

Thanks everyone for your comments - I now have my copy of the 1910 times - all the pages - not just front and back - in superb quality - local press unfortunately are not set up to do single copies and most are computer generated these days as well. Sam - I dont know what period your melodrama was set in - but Half a Sixpence is 1900 -newspapers were much different in format and no pictures - thats why a cut and paste on a modern broadsheet would have been wrong - thaks anyway for comment - much appreciated

Archived