ADA 8000 Reliability

Lamplighter

I have just had a 2 year old Behringer ADA8000 die on me with an open circuit mains transformer. As this could potentially have been a major problem, loosing 8 input channels mid show for instance, I am wondering how many of you have had similar failures. My feeling was (until now) that they are a reasonably reliable unit as they are frequently suggested as the best route for channel expansion on Yamaha and similar digital mixers. I always felt that they run on the warm side and accordingly allow plenty of airflow around them. Am I just unlucky or is there a potential problem.

Brian

I have four ADA8000s all about 3 years old now--so far no failures. I still put the "money channels" through the Yammy preamps because the Behringers get pretty noisy if you have to crank up the gain but other than that the ADAs have worked fine.

Bob

I had a second hand one with no warranty fail on me due to a faulty voltage regulator. When I researched the issue people appeared to be saying that there were various problems with the power supply but that the transformer failing was generally confined to to 110v land.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the input. To round things off, I bought a new one and whilst chasing a transformer ( circa £50) found that the faulty unit was just in waranty. A week later I had a new replacement so am in the comfortable position of having a spare. Returns department at DV (very efficient) felt they had seen quite a few ADA8000 recently, all just under 2 years old but couldn't say if it was a common fault.

Brian

Archived