An auzzie looking for work

smiles

Hi my name is Steph

and I am coming over to London in October and would love some work.

I am an LX technician with a back ground in theatre. I am not afraid of hard work

and I pick new things up quickly. I have been working in a regional theatre in Australia

which has given me a chance to pick a wide range of skills, not just LX

I am wondering if anyone has any advice for getting work in the London theatre world?

Where are the jobs listed? who are the best people to contact and any other info that

you think I should know would help.

Thanks for your help

The Stage website is a great place to start - it's also published in print form every Thursday, and has jobs advertised weekly. If you want to work in the West End, go door-knocking; ask at the stage door for the chief LX - but make sure you're there more than an hour before the show starts!

Just to be the boring practical git, make sure you have the proper visa to work in the UK before you arrive--it is nigh on impossible to convert a standard tourist entry to a working visa once you're there.

There's no automatic right for Australians to live and work in the UK, but two possible avenues for you: if you're youngish (I think it's 26 and under but do check on me) you should be able to get a "working holiday" visa which allows part time employment (is there anything else in theatre?) for a set period of time. From your plans, this may suit.

Otherwise, if you have a parent (or, I believe) grandparent) who was born in the UK you may be able to get a "certificate of patriality" which allows you to live and work full time in the UK. This is how I (as a Canadian) moved to the UK in 1976 for a year or two's adventure--and stayed 31 years before retiring to Queensland.

In either case, the British High Commission in Canberra or the consulate in your nearest capital city are your next call!

Good luck!

Bobbsy

Thanks for the info Bobbsy.

But I am right passport wise, thanks to my mother I have a german passport

so I am right to work over there.

So Grid Girl is it perfectly acceptable for me to go to the stage door more than an

hour before the show, they wont get ###### at me?

** laughs out loud **...a German passport works!

I was just coming back to tell you of a change I've discovered on the British web site (Certificate of Patriality is changed to "Certificate of Entitelement" and only goes back to parents) but no need to go into detail now.

Bob

Archived