Powered desk losing vol

p.mc

Hi All

I have a Peavey 1508 powered desk and lately I've noticed the singers channel [2] seemed a bit quieter than usual, but I pressed down on the gain pot on "my" mic channel [1]

and the volume was corrected.

I know it's a bit vague but does anyone have a diagnosis for this problem? We did have the same issue with another desk of the same type & Manufacturer last year and I opened it up hovered and sprayed servisol inside, only to bugger the thing up completely to the point it would shut down :-((

I was hoping someone has had the same issue and knew the fix.

Best

Regards

p.mc

It could be dirt in the pot.

If you say it is corrected when you press it down, or could be a dry joint as Josh has already said.

Maybe have the whole desk serviced, it won't cost too much and I think you would notice the difference afterwards.

I wouldn't keep pressing on the pot as you could cause the board to break.

John Denim.

I say its a dry joint or cracked track, pressing down on a pot in one channel to correct a fault in another adjacent channel tells me you're just flexing the pcb. Try swapping the gain pots first as they can go intermittent...otherwise whip out the board (!) and give it a good resoldering.

Hi All

"Thanks for the feedback" I think I'll have it serviced and mention some of your points.

Does a service involve fixing dry joints; and how much should I be looking to pay for a service on this desk?

Regards

p.mc

I would be very specific about describing the fault to your repair engineer. This type of desk has a common pcb to all channels which means taking the board out to resolder it is a fiddly and time-consuming job, involving pulling off all the knobs and nuts and so on. So don't be surprised at the quote (if they proffer one!). Intermittent problems like this are the bane of any engineer and asking what it'll cost is like asking the length of a piece of string. Sorry!

Does a service involve fixing dry joints; and how much should I be looking to pay for a service on this desk?

Servicing electronic gear like a mixing desk is totally different from servicing mechanical things like a car. There are no routine maintenance operations on modern electronic gear - it only needs servicing when it goes wrong. An experienced operator may be able to detect the first signs of a fault before a less experienced operator notices anything but there's no point in having something serviced just for the sake of it. Unlike electronics, mechanical items normally have a finite lifetime and require preventative maintenance (like lubrication) to give that expected lifetime.

As Kevin says, if you take it somewhere to be fixed, the engineer will want a good description of the problem (although you seemed to have summed it up pretty well in this thread) and most repair places will want a reasonable amount of money just to take a look at it - especially if tracing the fault requires major disassembly.

Cheers

James.

Are you offering your services James.. :)

OP, if you feel confident you could take off the knobs, nuts etc and have a look at the offending channel yourself.

Be very careful to make a note as to where everything goes back!

The channels are in strips on their own pcb, if you do not see any cracks or damage to the board and you have a soldering iron you could resolve any dry joints by re-melting the solder on all of the accessible points, only do this if you are confident though.

(ps, you will need a small tipped iron, not a gun.)

John Denim.

• 4 weeks later...

I repair a lot of desks and equipment where there is a lot of mechanical movements.

70% are dry joints (as mentioned), 20% are dirty pots (they get full of sh1t) and 10% other problems.

These would be approximate figures, and are easy to diagnose/repair.

;)

Moderation: He's not been active since the 18th, his last post - so I guess we may never know!

Hi

Sorry I've just got back from holiday, and no I haven't sorted it yet because I was gigging the Mathew St Festival (Sun-Mon) before my hols and had to go with the PA as is.

I let another group use our rig after us on the Sunday and didn't find out till the Monday that they had either blew a circuit or component on the speaker PCB.

I just got back and had to gig with a mates speakers and was hoping our speaker would be fixed, but my partner as usual didn't bother following it up and as left it to me.

And now I'm capturing my VT from hols and puting them to DVD. So thanks for the interest but I'm mad busy at the mo and will probably get the PA serviced some time in the next few weeks as well as sorting the speaker... ;)

Archived