Mini Dv vs DVCAM

SYB

I'm not to up to date with HDV, but I think that would blur things further, are you are talking about which tape type to use but then still actually recording in HDV? Sony and others manufacture Mini DV sized tapes branded as DVCam, but as Jason has alluded to, its the same apart from the tape speed. Given the Z1 only takes Mini DV sized tapes, then the choice is down to quality and how much you think it will affect the recording, but then its just as much down to whether you buy a cheap or expensive brand. At which point I'll hand over to those with more experience, we generally brought fairly cheap, branded tape stock when we did student TV, often JVC a lot I think.

hiya,

Heres my tuppence worth....where ever possible shoot with DVCAM stock in dvcam format (obviously if your machine or camera accepts the full size cassette...had to edit....saw a potential problem!) .(or Digi beta which is still better in terms of quality...but hey another subject)

You can shoot Dvcam on mini dv cassettes, but you will notice after time, and not too much time, that you will get a fair amount of head clogging....my only against.

If you're shooting any HDV stuff then I'm guessing that mini tape sizes will not store the higher quality material you are shooting...bit new to Hdv but am guessing by what small knowledge I have. obviously dependant on the length of shots and tape changes etc.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Ps...where do you live Peter....<<<<Originally Watford (now in Bournemouth), and worked for Blitz (Elstree) before going freelance a few years back...

If you're shooting any HDV stuff then I'm guessing that mini tape sizes will not store the higher quality material you are shooting...

No, the mini tapes (Mini DV, small DVCAM etc.) can quite happily record HDV, no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Re difference between minidv/dvcam:

I am lead to believe that they are from the same manufacturing process, where DVCAM stock is taken from the centre of the roll and the 'domestic' stock from the ends of the rolls.

However if anyone knows this to be wrong then please let me know and I'll stop telling people it!

Kris

The only difference between DVCAM and DV is that for the former the tape is transported through the camera 33% faster than normal. There is no difference in the tape itself when shooting on a MiniDV prosumer camera. There are some arguments to using DVCAM branded full-size tapes when mastering, but for shooting there's little practical benefit.

However, this is made completely moot because if you're shooting in HDV (as you say you are), there's no difference.

The thing nobody has mentioned is the track width - the extra speed of tape travel means the video track width is wider, this is what leads to less dropout. DVCPRO track width is even wider.

The trouble is that a mini package has a poor maximum running time, so many people use full size DV cassettes, or the large size DVCAM tapes on a DVCAM machine to give useful recording lengths.

Many people swear by a particular brand, then keep to it. Sony 'fed' machines are often cited as unreliable with other brand tapes - mainly because the media is semi-lubrticated. This, reported often on the net with about an equally split acceptance rate, is the cause of poor performance with a conventional dry tape - some people get above average drop-out rates from a machine fed a wet tape after being used on dry, and some report using a Sony tape on a machine only fed with JVC as being a mad idea. Me, I buy a single brand, and stick with it - buying in boxes of 100. I have not had any chewed tapes, and only the occasional drop-out - easily cured with a clean.

Archived