Do I now need a Driverack?

Steve Thomas

So now my system (for live 5 piece band appllications) are 2 S15 Martin Audio, powered by Lab Gruppen and 2 F12 powered by Crown Pulse and through a Martin Audio M3 controller into an Allen Heath Mixwizard. I can add a further 2 F12's and S15's for bigger gigs. An earlier thread I started questioned the M3 controller and its limitations, so given that this rig will be used in every kind of venue going from Church hall style venue, to large Marquee, is it now worthwhile me getting something like the Driverack and how should I set the X over as I am just a plug in and play guy and the M3 controller is preset? I had a quick look at the Driverack manual and it shows the system in a Sub, Mid and High configuration and I will just be using subs and tops?

Read up on the driverack PA before you buy one, especially if you like your HF drivers intact. Plenty of threads on here about them.

Personally I use the Behringer equivelant, and you'll find a lot of people on here who do the same. Nice piece of kit for not a lot of money.

I would investigate just what the Martin controller is doing. If it is simply applying an EQ curve and limiters, then get rid and replace with the crossover.

We have a Driverack 4800 at my work, I love it! Sounds amazing and all the inserts you can use with it makes it sound even better! Unfortunately I cannot speak for the lower end models of the Driverack as the 4800 is the most expensive model of DR but if they are anything like the big brother then I highly recommend them.

Thanks for that bit of info, it shall be noted! I however highly recommend the 4800 and been using it for the last 2 years. Did the install myself 2 years ago and it was a piece of cake! I even have it connected to the wireless internet hub in the PAC (encrypted of course) so that I can control it using my laptop at the house mix position. All in all a great unit.

Archived