Pyro Pods

peter

Hi

We're building a stage extension for our next show, and would like to conseal the pyro pods so they're not sticking out like normal. Is it safe to cut a hole the right size and sink the flash pod so the top of it is level with the stage, then run the cabling under the stage extension? Obviously the cast would be made aware of the trip hazard of the pod (which will be a Silver Jet Reduced Height, if it makes any difference) and will be standing on the main stage, not the extension, when the pod is fired.

Help please :rolleyes:

The Christmas show that I'm board op'ing does just that. 4 flash pots underneath a false floor, sitting in specially-made holders that attach to the underside with pin hinges (can be removed for easy reloading) and have a fairly heavy metal mesh over the top. Just make sure everything's nice and fireproof!!

I guess that part of the problem is that of actors treading on the pods and damaging the Pyro's. It's awfully annoying when the pyros don't go off on cue, not to mention expensive! As Gareth says, you probably need a reasonably heavy and secure mesh to protect them, but not so close that it affects the detonation.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Stuart B
So long as the hole in the stage is not smaller than the top of the pyro, I can see no reason for this effecting the normal operation of the device. Concealing it may just have an effect on the "If you can't see it, don't let it off" part of safe operation procedures, but by putting it out of the way you're more likely to prevent the turns from kicking it into the auditorium.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a problem, go for. It's dead simple and anyone with the slightest bit of common sense will be able to do it safely.

- if you need any advice on the best way to do it then msg me or reply

Mark Thomas

Head Pyrotechnician - Le Maitre

• 1 month later...

I would also suggest much the same as Stuart, and guard the edges. I would also, if possible have a draft angle, this just ensures the "bits" go up and not down. Powdered ally or magnesium or whatever it is.

Basically, a draft angle is a margin for error more than much else, as you can't garuntee you can make it vertical, make it slightly off, then it'll be fine. so it'd look like this from the side:

\_/

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
We use sunken pods in Cats. Unfortunatly they are Sky High not Le-matre. They are very good though. The floor mounting plate was supplied by Howard Eaton and consists of a thick steel cover with holes in. the Sky high pod is mounted under this. Tough enough to dance on. If you are willing to spend the money I would highly recomend them.

Archived