Blocks or motors

GLX

Any suggestions on flyin 12" box truss, option 1; 1 tonne chain blocks( weigh a tonne, no pun intended) is there such a thing as an upsidedown block where as the block sits beside the truss as aposed to 15m in the air?

I presume you wan't to avoid having to lift chain blocks into the air - I've never come across any method of using a chain block upside down, I think the only option is to use motors rigged 'motor down'.

Chain blocks can only be rigged straight down from the top,

Motors to Blocks I find is usually a cost implication;

if you have the money for motors then I would suggest running in motors, its just easy.

If you have to run Chain Blocks then the easiest way to hang them is to have someone rope it up to you at the top (and with the use of a one way pulley on your hauling line would make that a less effort task as well)

As Rob suggests, Motors rigged Motor Down would lighten your lift to put the points in.

I have used 1 tonne lodestars with the hoist on the truss and the chain going up to points in the grid. The truss then "climbs" up the chain into the roof.

As instructed by "Unusual"......

K

Depending on the weight of the truss you could 500kg Model F Lodestar hoists, a lot smaller than the Model L 1Tonne and much easier to haul the chain up.

I try to use these before our 1 tonners where possible.

I'm also assuming that you have a 3ph supply to run them off.

And have you seen the tiny 132kg Prostar? You could almost hang it on your belt between the Maglite and Leatherman. We ended up aquiring one from somewhere, it's nice but not really found a use for it yet.

And have you seen the tiny 132kg Prostar? You could almost hang it on your belt between the Maglite and Leatherman. We ended up aquiring one from somewhere, it's nice but not really found a use for it yet.

How about hauling chain blocks up to the grid? :)

Very boring answer I'm afraid... on 12'' box you shouldn't typically be loading above 1t of load between points so why use 1t blocks? 1/2t usually suffice and if your not used to handling blocks it will make for a lot lighter and happier rigging of your points and easier haul up of the chain into the bag once rigged.

Once you've done it enough times you'll start to realise......!

ProStars will take 250Kg, and are very 'cute'. If you can ever describe a chain hoist as cute. You can lift the whole motor and chain in one hand, unlike the bigger heavy brothers, where the chain on it's own is a sod. Really depends on exactly what you are planning on flying, such as length of truss, and whether you can get to the points. Chain blocks are ok, but you'll need a person per block to get the truss up.

As with any rigging- if in doubt DON'T DO IT! IT'S DANGEROUS STUFF. Oh and make sure you have the correct PLI.

You used to be able to get @Hurricane' hand chain blocks that work 'upside down' from CM. The hand chain gipsy swings through 360. Neat.

The worry with hand blocks is that the system isn't lifted or suspended evenly with regard to load.

With motors the system should get lifted level, the loadshare is down to the rigger to figure out.

Andy Mel - You certainly can hang such loads from 12" trusses if the spans are appropriate and the point loads on building/truss are within allowable loads.

Hi Chris

hope your keeping well, thanks for the reply, just really want to second what you stated in that you can load 12" as discussed, but within working limits...

My post was maybe didn't sound as cautionary as I intended it too having seen too many rental customers loading a truss to the max and deflecting to its limits when a larger truss should have been used! Money and transport often being the reason but never an excuse!

If you do any sort of rigging go and see Chris for one of his courses, even if you've been hanging stuff for a while it'll open your eyes and start your brain working.. even mine....

ProStars will take 250Kg, and are very 'cute'. If you can ever describe a chain hoist as cute. You can lift the whole motor and chain in one hand, unlike the bigger heavy brothers, where the chain on it's own is a sod. Really depends on exactly what you are planning on flying, such as length of truss, and whether you can get to the points. Chain blocks are ok, but you'll need a person per block to get the truss up.

As with any rigging- if in doubt DON'T DO IT! IT'S DANGEROUS STUFF. Oh and make sure you have the correct PLI.

Prostar's are rated at 453kg.

Archived