Fat Frog help

a917917

Hi Guys,

I would like to use a load of DMX equipment for a show im doing but dont have enough generic faders in wide mode on the fa frog and was wondering whether I could patch lets say 18 scrollers in the submasters if I was using memories. Is it possible and does anyone else have any other way of doing it. Note I am already using all 48 channels for dimmers and all 12 fixtures for moving heads.

Thanks,

Alex :)

No, scrollers have to have a fixture button (or, if necessary, a channel fader) to work on the FF .If you want to use everything, you will need to get a bigger desk (the Bull or Leap Frog maybe?)

HTH,

Chris

Are you absolutely sure about this because I would really not like to have to hire another desk since I cant take the channels.

Is there an alternative i.e. soft patching the items and somehow programming them without the use of faders?

Thanks,

Alex

:)

As you have correctly said you are limited to 48 fader channels and 12 fixtures.

The only way you could add more would be to soft patch the faders to operate multiple DMX channels (e.g. fader(1) DMX 1+19+46, fader(2) DMX 2+13+49+68 etc.)

You could group some of your moving heads together by setting the actual fixtures to same DMX address. This might not be an option though, it will depend on how they are rigged as you will not have individual control so initial positioning will be critical.

EDIT: After thought, if you have already programmed memories into the FF then you might want to look at hiring a Jester ML24 or ML48. This will be very similar to program and it will also record the FF memories if you connect it to the Jester's DMX input.

you could make a fixture that just operates different scrollers so instead of just each fixture only controlling one DMX scroller it could control lets say 5 with beam-shape or position controlling other fixtures. Sorry not sure if that makes sense but it could work.

this reminds me somewhat of a call I once got when working for a hire company, customer was infuriated becasuse he couldnt get the submasters to control a fixture, after reciting to him from the manual he agreed he would either have to reassign fixtures to the same DMX address, not ideal, or hire another smaller desk just to control the scrollers.. same advice to you, hire yourself either a bigger desk, bull or leap, or hire a smaller desk to control the scrollers.

How many fixtures do you currently have?

If it is less than the 12 Available on the Fat Frog make a new fixture using the Offline Editor with say 12 colour channels in it.

Label each one as a Scroller E.G. Scr 1, Scr 2, Scr 3 Etc until you have all 12 of the scrollers assigned then add this as the last fixture on the Fat Frog.

You now have 1 Fixture Profile taking up 1 Space with indevidual control of each scroller.

If you tell me how many you have I will make it for you.

Josh

Note I am already using all 48 channels for dimmers and all 12 fixtures for moving heads.

How many fixtures do you currently have?

If it is less than the 12 Available on the Fat Frog make a new fixture using the Offline Editor with say 12 colour channels in it.

Still a good Idea if the O/P can afford to pair up 2 movers.

It does seem like there are two options here, either a different/additional desk...or to repatch the rig so that fixtures are sharing channels

Steve

...wondering whether I could patch lets say 18 scrollers in the submasters if I was using memories. Is it possible

The LTP on the FF has been covered several times before on this forum along with Move When Dark. As long as you are aware of these you can work with them. While we're on this topic also make sure you know if the desk is in Full or Partial mode before you start plotting.

For manual control I'd put only the brightness on the submasters and leave the colours to the palettes but the OP mentioned using memories so I'm guessing it will all be pre-programmed. Just remember to add in some extra fade down scenes for the scrollers and moving heads to avoid to audiance seeing the colour change.

As mentioned before , are you not able to soft patch the dimmer channels and have more than one light running off one fader!.

Just double up on a lot of stuff if you can to give you more space. Its not the best of ways to have scrollers running of a fader, but its not the end of the world if its going to save you money having to faff with another desk

Archived