Train passing lighting effect

pclaydon

This consisted of a wooden octagon cylinder with angled sides (if this makes sense) with a length of mirror on each side. This was then attached to the top of a cast base stand and rotated at the appropriate speed, with a profile focused on to one side of it. The whole set up was hidden behind either a piece of set (eg a window) or a gauze. The effect was the lights of the carriages moving past at whatever speed it was rotated.

D'oh! Just remembered - I saw this effect used a little while back - It was for "Double Indemnity" at the New Wolsey Theatre in Ipswich in 2001. I believe it was known as a "toblerone". You could try contacting them for details.

...three parcans (as train headlights) mounted on an ordinary road-case . If the smoke is thick enough and no other light is cast on the area, the whole "fake-train" should vanish, including the guys (in black dress) who push it across the stage. 

Great idea, I like it a lot.

However, I don't see why they couldn't just wear black shirt and trousers (unless they particularly wanted to wear a dress...)!

:)

Archived