my pa rig ....... comments welcome !!

dhilly

right then , this is what I've decided on ......

dynacord 1000 ( desk only ) -

behringer eq 3102 ultragraph -

behringer cx 2300 x/over -

peavey 2600 run in stereo to top cabs

peavey 2600 run in bridged/mono to bass bin's

( ev eliminators ) tops - 350watts @ 8ohms / bins 400 -800 peak @ 8ohms

can anyone forsee a problem with this set up ??? any tips etc...

im still waiting on an amp , so wont be able to run it until next week

if anyone's wondering why I'm not using the dynacords eq , it's because thats going to run my monitors

any advise greatly recieved ...

dave.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well,

Eliminators are Good

Dynacord Powermate is a good desk

Behringer EQ is as good as you'll get without spending serious money for something like a KT DN360

Behringer XOVER - should be ok.

Don't know much about the peavy amps, Again I'd say it's adequate and will do the job.

What are your top cabs?

Alan

Only thing I'd err on the side of caution with there is the ultragraph. Someone else might be able to confirm / shout me down on it, but I distinctly remember one particular ultragraph being noticeably hissy - I can't remember what model that was though. I can't comment on the desk or the xover as I've never used those though - what cabs are you using?

EDIT: Nope, ignore that. I'm thinking of an ultra-CURVE. And I think it was the 8024 or something like it. Half asleep...

Well,

Eliminators are Good

Dynacord Powermate is a good desk

Behringer EQ is as good as you'll get without spending serious money for something like a KT DN360

Behringer XOVER - should be ok.

Don't know much about the peavy amps, Again I'd say it's adequate and will do the job.

What are your top cabs?

Alan

top cabs are 350watts rms @ 8ohms / bins are 400 - 800 peak @ 8 ohms. dave.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

from what I've experienced so far with the peavey's , they are well impressive ......

I'm not after loudness , just a quality , crisp sound with ( hopefully ) trouser flapping bottom end ....http://www.blue-room.org.uk/style_images/3/folder_post_icons/icon10.gif

dave.

if anyone's wondering why I'm not using the dynacords eq , it's because thats going to run my monitors

dave.

Sounds good to me Dave,

I have a very similar set up, desk, pv2600, and behringer ultragraph, but mine does not have the FBQ facility.

Just one thing,

How come you have decided to bridge your bass cabs instead of running them in stereo?

John Denim.

I reckon its the most efficient way to get the power they need , and my drums will be panned through the top anyway ....

dave.

dave.

Sounds good to me Dave,

I have a very similar set up, desk, pv2600, and behringer ultragraph, but mine does not have the FBQ facility.

Just one thing,

How come you have decided to bridge your bass cabs instead of running them in stereo?

John Denim.

Looking at the specs for that amp, it says it's not recommended for continuous 4 ohm bridged operation, which is what you're proposing with your subs. I'd be inclined to go for conventional 2 channel operation there instead. A little more power would be useful but it's not bad.

Second the recommendation for a proper LMS rather than just a crossover - the limiters WILL come in handy for protecting your cabs.

None of the ultracurves have been noisy. Not to my knowledge and I've had the 8000 8024 (both now given away to people) and I've got 6 2496's, all silent.

The old ultragraphs (pre fbq) were a bit noisy but expected for the price. They're FAR from the best eq's in the world. Infact they're relatively nasty eq's in comparison to some but they perform the job ok for their price and they wouldn't be overpriced at twice the price, you can't grumble. I've got a few FBQ's in racks that I still use from time to time.

I assume the OP has decided to bridge the subs to get more power from the amp.

Rob

Also seeing as the Peavys might not be too happy running 4Ohms bridged.

Are you just using the crossover for the Sub out?

If this is the case it would be more sensable to use the 2 Way stereo facility instead.

Edit:

Shez, Dhilly & Rob posted at the same time as me.

thanks john,

I,ve been told that bridge / mono is the most efficient way to power bin's ???

and I'm goona pan the drums ( toms ) through the tops anyway .

dave

It isn't any more efficient than running in stereo and the Amp isn't going to survive long if you do run it in mono.

It MAY be more efficient but it definitely wont be more economical in the long run.

Josh

Looking at the specs for that amp, it says it's not recommended for continuous 4 ohm bridged operation, which is what you're proposing with your subs. I'd be inclined to go for conventional 2 channel operation there instead. A little more power would be useful but it's not bad.

Second the recommendation for a proper LMS rather than just a crossover - the limiters WILL come in handy for protecting your cabs.

this 2300 has a limiter .... will that be ok ?

and according to the peavey manual page 30 it does state " RATED OUTPUT POWER , bridge mode, mono 4 ohms EIA , 1 kHz , 0.1% THD 2600 W RMS "

sorry about the cap's , thats a direct quote ..

dave.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

thanks smalljoshua ,

I'm proposing to run the crossover 2 way , with mono low out ??????

dave.

As Shez and others, The bridged pv should work, you will get more SPL, but at a risk of the amp getting too hot and the thermal trips cutting in for a few seconds, causing.. no bass!

It does state in the manual it is designed to run at 2 ohms, but it also says "4 ohms nominal".

Saying that, there are some that run it at 2r with no problems at all!

John Denim.

As Shez and others, The bridged pv should work, you will get more SPL, but at a risk of the amp getting too hot and the thermal trips cutting in for a few seconds, causing.. no bass!

It does state in the manual it is designed to run at 2 ohms, but it also says "4 ohms nominal".

Saying that, there are some that run it at 2r with no problems at all!

John Denim.

whats SPL ????

dave.

Archived