Behringer DSP1424P Sale or Alternatives?

Jambo_UK

I'm trying to hunt down a Behringer DSP1424P for a music event I want to do in the summer but not having much luck in sourcing one. All of the suppliers that list them as stocked have turned around and said they no longer stock them and my normal suppliers don't have them. So I was wondering if anyone knew anyone that stocked these units for sale in the UK. Looking for brand new rather then second hand as I prefer a warranty on Behringer products as I have been stuck with second hand ones before that develop a fault two weeks down the line due to misuse.

If not does anyone know of a similar alternative? I'm really looking for the loudness Maximiser feature to help protect my amp rack at the gig and get the most out of the system. But at the same time simple to operate and not needing to spend ages adjusting features and settings. Most of the event I’m visiting will have a restricted get in time.

Thanks for the help in advance

Regards

Jamie

PS> Here is a link for the product www.behringer.com

http://www.behringer.com/DSP1424P/index.cfm?lang=ENG

If you want to protect your rig, get a loudspeaker processor unit, the cheapest being the Behringer DCX, then the dbx Driverack PA (but see the warning about this box) and then the Driverack 260.

If you want something to make your rig sound "louder" (rather than "be" louder) then you are into territory most sound folk avoid, and they'll look at you like a herbal remedy salesman. Most audio people dont like the way that pop radio stations sound, and thats what these treatments do.

But... you could try any decent multiband compressor, or a Aphex Compellor (my favorite tool for this kind of thing) or even go all pseudo-science and go for a sonic maximizer...

None of which is a cheap as the Behringer...

By using system compression like this to enable the rig to appear louder, or in this case actually have an average level that is louder, you'll find you stress the system components much more. You'll also reduce your gain before feedback particularly on monitors.

Are you SURE this is what you want to do. You've stated what you think you want to do, what exactly is the problem or problems you are trying to overcome?

totally agree with Rob above, but if you have to then have you considered the BEHRINGER SU9920 SONIC ULTRAMIZER? which is a current product and costs around £70, alternatively if your event is in the southwest then I can hire you some more gear to do the job properly rather than processing ** laughs out loud **

It's not kit that is the problem. It comes down to Volts and DB's with the venue. I'm restricted to 16a of power for Front of house and band's backline not a major issue. But also with a noise limiter and locals living less than 100m away from the venue, ready with their phones to compliant. I have to stick within preset levels. I'm hoping my processing I can get more volume without drawing more power or increasing the DB.

I will have a look at the Behringer unit you recommended it may be the item I’m after. If not I will have to change the way that I do the bands sound that is causing this issue.

A crossover (be it built into processing or standalone) will reduce the dynamic range of the system keeping it below a certain level and getting the most out of it (be aware that the average level raises so check power ratings of amps vs speakers etc). However, it's not going to work for stage noise and whilst you can do the same for monitors, if a band member says "I can't hear myself" what do you do?

With most things, if the current is limited, you'll just not get the volume out of the system rather the thing tripping out. Effectively it should do what you want by itself.

Looks like I will try have to tell the band to hop it and it they don't turn there backline down then I will not be able to get the clear vocals for them.

No budget for bigger PA, No headroom to add more speakers without annoying the locals. Looks like I will have to get them to turn their cabs down.

Thanks for the help, shame the Behringer unit isn't available I used it before and found it to be an excellent tool live.

Anyway thanks for the help everyone, look like an easy solution.

Archived