Dynacord powermate 1000 mII Recommended speakers

KrazyDJ

Im currently using my dynacord powermate 1000 m 2 with Cerwin vega tops and bass bins. Howerer I keep blowing the crossovers in the speakers. Can anyone recommend a decent of speakers to use?

First of all, :)

As the power output of the Dynacord is 2 x 700 wrms, what is the rating of your current cabs?

Impedance?

When you say " blow the crossovers " what exactly do you mean?

John Denim.

as everyone above has stated, need more info on the speakers you have to find out why you are having problems. If its the very common V152 Cerwin Vega speakers, the Horns blow ridiculously easily, it turns out that its only a Piezo Horn behind that big silver Wok and that the entire cab is only rated at approx 225watts (unbelievable for a speaker which was so highly regarded 5-6 years ago)

then to recommend some speakers for you, we need to know what you are doing with them, what sort of venues you play and what your budget is!

As Rob and SIG, we really need to know why your amps are blowing your cabs.

If you list your P.A we will have a better understanding. What is the application, I assume playback?

Simply listing "decent cabs" is a bit pointless without knowing this, and your budget.

If you said, I have X speakers and want to replace them and have X amount of £'s, we might be able to help but you need to supply more info please.

John Denim.

Sorry new to this forum

Im using the Dynacord Powermate 1000 mk2

Top speakers are

Cerwin Vega PSX153 15" 3 way speakers

Rated 600 watts @ 8ohms

Bass Bins are

Cerwin Vega PSX36 15"

Rated 500 watts @ 8oms

I have the Top speakers wired through internal crossover of the bass bin so the top speakers are never run as a full range speaker.

I had these about 4yrs although they are hardly used after every couple of gigs either the Tops blow/mid range or the crossover has problems (I.e bulbs blow, crossover come away from the board). I have also had both sets of crossovers replaced but still no look.

To be honest I hardly ever use the equipment and its not powered that much either

I hear that cerwin vega have had problems with these speakers..... if anyone has a solution to sorting these out. or if anyone can recommend a set of decent speakers if all fails....

I have had these repaired twice now by a local speaker manufacturer and he did say that cerwin vega have used crap components in this range.....

Im open to suggestions.

Any help is apreciated

KrazyDJ

Well again it would depend on your budget, and I assume you are a DJ?

If we are to assume you want around the same quality, I think we are looking at a budget of around 2 grand?

Why not have a look at the EV range, I'm sure you will find something that suits, arranging a demo at your local pro audio shop

will be a good idea as well.

John Denim.

budget really isnt a concern to be honest, all I want is a decent set of speakers that work well with the amp.

EV speakers are they any good as I have heard bad and good about them

The EV Eliminator series ( sorry if I sound like a broken record!) are a decent cab I have heard and are great value for the money.

But if budget is not really an issue there are some guys on here who could recommend some of the really expensive stuff I have no experience with.

Funktion one, D&B, theres loads to choose from.

I assume you want the same kind of config, passive tops and subs?

John Denim.

You say keep blowing the crossovers? Kind of meaning at least twice. The power output and max input from the speaker specs don't mean much if the signal you are sending is anything other than high quality and balanced. I the source material is heavily compressed in production, and bass heavy, then the amp is having to work very hard. If your gain structure is also introducing distortion (maybe not necessarily audible distortion) then again things are bad for the crossovers. The fact you did it more than once probably just means you are overdriving them, they're heating up and failing. To be fair, I've not heard Cerwin Vega are more prone to this. It could be worth asking on a DJ forum to see if there is a known problem with these when used in this way - not something we're really into. In our world, we rarely destroy loudspeaker components with our programme material - as we usually go for quality rather than volume. Blowing up a passive crossover is abuse caused, rather than just something that happens.

Coup

If your looking for a cheap decent pair of 2nd hand cabs for disco use then the Peavey Hi sys 2`s are available for good money around £120 a pair from Ebay etc.

I used a pair for years for DJ / Disco use . Not everyones favourite cab on this forum I know , but cheap and robust reliable cabs :rolleyes:

To be honest im not overpowering them, the amp is on less than half way. Ive used them twice in the last six months and both times the crossovers have failed. Ive had the amp and speakers tested yet it still keeps happening. The dynacord has a built in limiter so its says in the manual...... so I dont see how it can happen....

Strange on I know, kinda weird that cerwin vega have discontinued them now.

I think I will check out ev or some new peaveys

Archived