martin cx2`s

Jazzhands

Hi all, tried the Logic system today over in leeds and whilst a good sound, not the one for me. On a totally different tack I had a listen to 4 Martin CX2`s run at 4ohms by a yamaha 5014 powered mixer.(not in leeds!) This gear is second hand but had a lot of punch and I have to say seems a very portable concept. The boxes are going for £650 a pair before haggling and the desk is £500.

I thought the overall sound was better on this system though I wondered whether it was a mistake not to have a sub at all? The guys going to let me try this system out in a bigger room and is being very helpful though it`s obvious He`s there to sell things. Any thoughts on this configuration? AND alternatives in the passive field with say powered mixer or amp. I`ve resigned myself to the reality that the tt range is over my budget which I think stops at £3k max!!! :rolleyes:

I believe that it is the general consensus on the Board that Powered Mixers aren't a very good option because of the combined weight and the lack of flexibility to upgrade either the amp/mixer in the future without changing both.

Josh

It's good that you're getting to hear quite a range of stuff.

Do you know what the dispersion of the CX2's is? As they're co-axial I assume it's conical, maybe 60 deg?

How would you array 4 for them?

As a guide to the rest of us, what did the Logic's not have that you wanted to hear? and what did the Martin's have that seems to be what you're looking for?

The Logics sounded just a bit clinical maybe? The guys in there didn`t have too much of a clue and with me no idea either it was a fairly dull experience! My vocal just sounded wrong! Whereas the Martin rig gave the vocal a better if not totally what I want sound and the rest of the sound was impressive. Lots of Bass ( via Bass coupling???) and powerful. I thought that for the size I`ve probably not heard anything that good. If anything they were a little bit boxy sounding but The only way past that is probably a transit van and a bigger system!

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I don`t know the dispersion etc, but they sit on top of one another or can be put two floor.

Yeh, I got that but wanted a bit more for reference than a scabby old photo!

These must be old boxes if Martin have no info on them.

I'd be wary a buying these, not 'cos of the sound as I have not heard them, but because they are so obscure.

John Denim.

Archived