Headset Microphones

Richard CSL

Hi, I have a customer who is looking for a top level headset microphone.

The spec is for a unit which is not readily prone to feedback , can be used in a musical stage production, ie high volume levels, and does not sound like his 14 yr old daughter is singing into a tin can.

I have looked at the Thomann range , but am confused about the decibel ratings , what are they for, and obviously frequency range 20 hz - 20Khz. some start at 14Hz. is that necessary for a young female voice.??

The most important thing is feedback because the customer often turns up at various venues, Theaters tv studios etc. and other engineers set up the sound, we are in spain and they seem to not be fully trained or something because they seem to always have tech problems with feed back.

I would appreciate any advice on this subject as I primarily am a lighting engineer and don´t often work with high end sound equipment.

Hi, I have a customer who is looking for a top level headset microphone.

<snip>

I have looked at the Thomann range

I think you're looking in the wrong place... Try something like a DPA 4066 - arguably one of the best headset mics out there. Expect to pay top level prices for top level performace though.

If you REALLY mean a top level microphone then your choice is probably between the DPA mic already mentioned and the Countryman E6.

However, if the price of the Thomann mic is the sort of budget you have, then you don't really mean a top level mic. Thomann is decidedly economy.

I'll edit this to answer (sort of) the second half of your question by saying that most of the "headline specs" about microphones are meaningless when it comes to evaluating how they sound. It's much more important to actually hear the mic or, if this is impossible, talk to people who have experience of the sound. Even a cheap and nasty mic will probably claim a frequency response of 50-18000Hz or better--but this doesn't mean it'll sound good. Similarly, some of the nicer sounding mics have a "lumpy" looking frequency response graph. Beyond that, none of this tells you anything about feedback rejection which I gather is important to you.

Bob

Thanks for your help, I have looked at the DPA4066 and found another minefield, there seems to be several of them with prefixes , do these relate to the connector, in which case I need a 4 pin lemo.

again thanks for the help.

I think it comes as standard with a microdot connector, so you need an adapter to go from microdot to Lemo. The mics are available in several different colours - the letters suffixes indicate the choice of colour. DPA's website is pretty good for showing the various options.

Just to hijack the thread for a moment; our singer is looking for a decent headset mic to be used in a band environment, so a fair amount of onstage sound from backline etc.

Would she be better getting the DPA 4088 (the cardioid version)?

Archived