Pixel mapping software

Jonny DMX

Afternoon all

Just did a quick search but very little came up unless I'm using the wrong key words.

What I am after is piece of kit/software that will enable me to run video content over low resolution LED panels (the panels are likely to be something like the AC lighting Colour web or EvenLED etc). I will need to be able to control the content through a DMX based control surface as it will also be controlling the lighting in the space. Ideally it would be great if I could send the same video content to run on both low res and high res lighting surfaces simultaneously but is not essential at this point.

I know that the Hippotizer is built for this and has a built in pixelmapper, however I am trying to find some alternatives that may not carry such a high price tag. I do not necessarily need any fancy live video effects or layer transparencies I just need the video playback and pixelmapping elements.

This got me thinking about Arkaos and the Entech USB-DMX device but I do not know enough about it to know if it has a pixelmap output. I have thought about the MA console and running it with a layout view mapped to the pixels but this will not allow me to run video content on the "fixtures". Also once I have purchased an MA console I might as well just go strait for a hippotizer.

Any suggestions would be welcome

PixelMAD is a mapping software for lots of the sort of products you are talking about. Please bare in mind that products such as Colourweb are DMX systems, so after the mapping you have to be able to turn the data (ArtNet for example) into DMX. Buying an ArtNet to DMX node will add to the price substantially especially as 1 universe of DMX only controls 10m square of Colourweb. PixelMAD requires quite a high spec clean machine to run on as the way it handles clips means it can have a lot of very high res graphics running simultaneously even when not on screen.

Mac 500 - MA video is an excellent product however you again run into the problem of how to run a DMX based product of any substantial size with out spending tens of thousands on NSPs. The console will output 8 universes worth of ArtNet but this again is just not very much.

I will look closer at the Arkaos pixelmapper which at first glance seems to be the sort of thing I am after cheers Richard.

Just to clarify I do not own an MA console I was just saying that if I were going to go to the expense of purchasing one I might as well go straight for the hippotiser which is designed to do specifically this. (there is little difference in price at this point). Also to the best of my knowledge you cannot map MA video to layout view on the MA.

Chamsys Magic Q's can certainly map pictures, I'm not sure if they can map video though. I wrote a basic pixel mapper for my third year project of my degree, which managed video and images, although I only had a small monochrome array to test it on, its also not really in a releasable state, although its something I may look at again in the future.

• 5 weeks later...
Light Factory, distributed in Europe by Zero 88, is capable of pixel mapping and video/image replay, as well as vector based image movements and translations. Give me a shout if you need any more information.

You are correct to a point, however the new PSU's for Color Web all have CAT 5 in and through connectors.
That's very nice, but the choice of RJ45 or Ethercon as a connector tells us precisely nothing about the protocol used.

There is an ESTA standard for DMX over Cat5 cable using RJ45 connectors, RJ45 connectors are commonly used in video extender systems of various types and there are a multitude of other uses for Cat5 cabling with RJ45 connectors.

Having dug my way through the manual, it seems that the Ethernet ColourWeb only supports the "Artnet" protocol.

- As an aside, I'd suggest adding that important detail to the specification sheet, rather than hiding it in a 'how to address' in the manual.

It's interesting to see the provision of an internal ethernet switch though - that could be useful.

That's very nice, but the choice of RJ45 or Ethercon as a connector tells us precisely nothing about the protocol used.
I wasnt talking about protocol.............. The comment was about Artnet to DMX convertors...............

I will continue this off forum otherwiose it will get sensored...

Moderation: Free free to continue on forum if you want, a question was asked and you're welcome to reply to it.

Archived